PDA

View Full Version : Macho Flush Draw

toby
08-14-2004, 08:27 AM
I figured this situation was more appropriate to post in Psychology than in Small Stakes NL, so here it is: (This hand is from last night, though I've had the same problem in other games, live and online). Home game, $20 buyin, no limit, .25/.5 blinds. Getting towards the end of the night and I have about $45 and Q/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the SB. I have been playing pretty tight and well the whole night. BB has had a run of crappy cards, but has rebought plenty of times and now has about $30. Folds around, I raise to $2 over the blind, BB smooth calls. Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Not a bad flop, I bet $5 into the pot, he raises to $10. <font color="red"> Psychology part: </font> I take offense to this guy raising me and even though I am fairly sure he's beating me I push, thinking "What?! You're raising me ? Reraise all in.". Well he had an A, and no spades or K's fell so I lost a bunch.

The better play is probably to call. Any thoughts on this situation? Is it better to have that aggressiveness because in the future they know by raising they may very well have to put all their chips in the middle, or should I play "smarter" poker and not risk it all drawing against one opponent?

Lazymeatball
08-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Umm, push here everytime if you think he will call. You are favored to win the hand. You've got a flushdraw and a double gutshot, so any spade, K or 9 helps you, 15 outs with two cards to come. I checked it on twodimes, although I had to make up the suits and the kicker for your opponents hand, you are looking good.

pokenum -h qs js - ac 7c -- as 8s td
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing As 8s Td
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qs Js 562 56.77 428 43.23 0 0.00 0.568
Ac 7c 428 43.23 562 56.77 0 0.00 0.432
Twodimes QsJs vs Ac7c on As 8s Td board (http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b=As+8s+Td&amp;d=&amp;h=Qs+Js%0D%0AAc+7c)

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Since your opponent started with $30, called a $2 raise, then raised you $10 more, there was only $18 left in his stack. Since HE raised YOU, this is a terrible place to try and make a move with a draw. You cannot make moves with draws when your opponent is almost certain to call. You were near even money to win, but I would have played it more passively, just calling the flop raise and seeing what happened.

al

Dynasty
08-14-2004, 04:22 PM
When you've got 56% pot equity, you are not drawing. You are winning.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2004, 07:58 PM
My mistake. I didn't see the double belly buster on the flop, so he had three more outs than I thought, which does switch him to being slightly the favorite.

al

toby
08-14-2004, 08:36 PM
That's a good point - I myself didn't notice the double gutshot. The problem I have is that I make the same play with only a flush draw sometimes. I'll need to restraint myself from that pointless move. Discipline!

blackaces13
08-14-2004, 08:58 PM
I make that play with a flush draw a lot too. If there is a decent chance that your opponent(s) will fold its a good play.

The times you do get called it helps to be known as a guy who shoved with a draw because then when you shove with a set the next time you are more likely to get loose calls.