PDA

View Full Version : Overcards

Sully
08-14-2004, 04:32 AM
I've had off and on trouble with overcards for a while, and I'm just not sure I'm thinking correctly. I'd love for some of you to tell me what goes through your minds in a situation such as this:

Full handed-ring game, and for the purposes of this, let's assume a typical Party 15/30 Table. Folded to hero, who raises from EMP with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Two more callers (MP & Button), and big blind completes, making a total of 4.5BB in the pot.

The flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and it is checked to you. What are you thinking about? Are you simply calculating outs? Are you trying to represent a pair? What are the repercussions of checking?

What if the BB bets the flop? Now what is your thought process?

I'm really not trying to figure out the exact correct play on this particular hand, and I understand that "everything depends". I'm just trying to understand how some of the better players think at this point, and what is the reasoning, etc.

Hope this makes sense. It's late, and my computer smells of tilt recently.

tortoise
08-14-2004, 11:27 AM
It's a tough hand to play. Many players just close their eyes and bet to the river. I use the number of opponents and flop to determine my action (I'm assuming I have no info on the players). 3 or fewer opponents I'll fire on a good flop. If I get more than one caller I'm done.

In this situation, the flop is favourable and you have 3 opponents but one has bet into you. If the player is an unknown I'll flip a coin in my head to decide my action. Half the time I'll raise the flop, bet the turn check the river (folding to a check raise on any street). The rest I'll fold on the flop. Occasionally I'll just call on the flop, but I usually like to make a decision one way or the other early.

It's nice to have info on the players for these situtations.

me454555
08-14-2004, 01:54 PM
My thought process:

1) Pot is small
2) Not many 6s or Ts are out there so I may have the best hand
3) I have a runner runner flush and strait draw to the nuts to go along with my over cards (an extra 2 outs)

I bet b/c overcards will be calling incorrectly b/c the pot is small and they are most likely dominated. Even if I'm called I'm not in bad shape b/c I have plenty of outs to draw to and the chance of domination is slim.

If I'm raised, then its more of a player specific problem. Is he aggressive/passive? What types of hands does he raise with. Most likely, I'd call the raise and check fold the turn unimproved.