PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing at tiny pots

balkii
08-14-2004, 03:22 AM
2 scenarios:

#1: You are in the BB. A player openlimps, and the action is folded to you. You check, and the action is checked down to the river. The river blanks and if you check you will almost surely lose the pot. Pot is laying you just over even money on a bluff, meaning your opponent only needs to fold ~50% of the time for this to be a money-maker. Should you bluff here frequently?

#2: You openlimp, a terrible thing happens and it is folded to the BB. Pot is checked down to the river, and your hand is not likely to hold up in a showdown (though your chances will be better hand than in hand 1 because you presumably are openlimping with something decent). Same question as before, how often should you bluff here?

Just wondering, as I have found myself in these situations more often recently, and it seems like a good spot to pick up some chips; I have been bluffing a LOT here.

Garland
08-14-2004, 03:31 AM
#1: If you feel you have no shot at winning the pot heads up on a showdown, you should probably take a shot at the turn or river. If you get caught, so what? In the future, he'll pay you off with A high when you actually catch that rag card pair thinking you're trying to buy the pot...again. Keep pumping the bluffs when the board and action warrants it. It's their fault for not open raising in the first place.

#2: If you open-limped, it's likely to be with a pair or some good suited A or some good suited king or a monster pair in early position (UTG or UTG+1). I don't think there are too many other situations where you should open-limp. It really shouldn't check to the river in your situation. You should really just bet the flop no matter what comes if it's checked to you. You're likely to have the best hand anyways.

Garland

SnakeRat
08-14-2004, 03:33 AM
If I am going to bluff at a tiny pot I usually will do it on the flop.

Hand #1: I dont like the river bluff since it is transparent and people often open limp with pairs and Ax suited, and other hands that will pick off your bluff.

Hand #2: This scenario is incredibly vague, but a better hand probably will not fold given that you have taken 2 free cards...

balkii
08-14-2004, 03:51 AM
I know its usually a good to semibluff or bluff on the early streets, but I havent been liking that all the time lately. I bluff the flop, and invariably get called. Then I sayto myself " these guys call the flop with anything, I HAVE to bet the turn cause he might fold now." then they call. then I think "well the pots pretty big now, and all he's done is call, so a bluff should show a profit here." and then I get called.

Basically it seems like its easier to bluff when the other guy cant convince himself that the next card will give him the winner.

The second scenario in my example is kind of strange, I dont know how it happens but I do occasionaly find myself HU with position in an unraised pot. Ah now I know, its when the SB openlimps. So I had that totally wrong. Anyways