PDA

View Full Version : Help Reading this Chart

woo724
08-14-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi,

I've been playing hold'em for couple of years. I know and understand most of the basica theories and etc but nothing advanced. My friends are really good players so I learned few things here and there from them.

I just decided to try to learn more and starting doing some research, mainly on probablities of hitting certain hands.

But most of these sites i find seem to have charts that baffle me somewhat.

For instance, http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/texas-holdem-odds-probabilities.htm

Let's take the first one for example. "Pair preflop", does this mean the probabililty of hitting trips is 6%? Is this the chance of hitting it in the flop? Turn? River? or overall? If it is the probablity of hitting trips, why is there a row titled "AA, KK, QQ, JJ"? Aren't these preflop pair?

If someone could help me decode this chart I will be greatful. As well, if someone can find a chart taht shows the probabiltiy of hitting hands ont he flop, turn, river seperately, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

uuDevil
08-14-2004, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's take the first one for example. "Pair preflop", does this mean the probabililty of hitting trips is 6%? Is this the chance of hitting it in the flop? Turn? River? or overall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are odds of being dealt ANY pocket pair before the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
If it is the probablity of hitting trips, why is there a row titled "AA, KK, QQ, JJ"? Aren't these preflop pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

That row gives the odds of being dealt any one of just these 4 big pocket pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone could help me decode this chart I will be greatful. As well, if someone can find a chart taht shows the probabiltiy of hitting hands ont he flop, turn, river seperately, it would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that same table has some of these, but you might want to look at this one:

LostWages Odds Chart (http://home.houston.rr.com/texasholdempoker/odds.htm)

Edit: this is a VERY nice chart, but Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller might not approve of valuing backdoor draws at 2 outs each. Better make it 1.5 for the backdoor flush, and 0.5-1.5 for the backdoor straight. And read Ed's book (Small Stakes Holdem) so you know what to do with those outs.

M50Paul
08-14-2004, 04:28 AM
This is how you read the chart. The pair pre-flop has a 6% chance of occurring, the next colum shows 1 in 17 - 16:1. This is just another way to say the same thing but converted to odds vs %. 6% equates to a 16:1 odds (100-6/6=16. Hope this explains how the chart is read