PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing the river with K-high...

chesspain
08-14-2004, 01:50 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

No reads on any of the opponents in this hand.

Preflop: chesspain is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, chesspain calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 folds, chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, chesspain calls. <font color="blue">Since I'm a big dog heads up vs. a premium pair or AK, I decide to check so that I didn't risk being raised and isolated. </font>

Turn: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, Button calls, BB folds. <font color="blue">I thought BB was full of crap when he bet, but since I have outs anyway, I raise in order to try to push the Button off of AK here. </font>

River: (12.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

Results in white below, which I'm posting now since I'm going to bed soon and I'm assuming that you'll have the self-control to not look before arriving at your opinions /images/graemlins/smirk.gif: <font color="white">

chesspain shows Qc Kc (one pair, tens).
Button shows Kh Qs (one pair, tens).
Outcome: chesspain wins 7.37 BB. Button wins 7.37 BB.

P.S. Button is a 2+2 lurker who plays/posts under the same handle, although I did not recognize his name until after the hand was over and he made a comment suggesting that he knew me. Consequently, do others like his play or not, especially since he knew who I was?</font>

Vehn
08-14-2004, 01:55 AM
I would give up on the river. The button's play sucks.

SnakeRat
08-14-2004, 01:57 AM
I like the way you played this.

I really dont like his preflop 3-bet, or his rivercall.

chesspain
08-14-2004, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would give up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think I have the pot odds to try to push the Button off of an unimproved AK?

Navers
08-14-2004, 02:03 AM
should button have folded the turn? what about on the flop, should button have gone for the free card or put more money in the pot with his draw

SnakeRat
08-14-2004, 02:06 AM
I think its close call on the turn.

The flop is a must bet when it is checked to him, since he has pretty good pot equity.

colgin
08-14-2004, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think I have the pot odds to try to push the Button off of an unimproved AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that there is almost no chance that you will get AK to fold here.

Monty Cantsin
08-14-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should button have folded the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's getting just under pot odds for the call. He's drawing dead to TT, TJs, JJ and these are all possible holdings for a known 2+2 late position raise behind a limper. Plus the BB has yet to respond to Chesspain's raise, and might actually have the goods. Looks like a fold. Could you make it? I'm sorry to say I probably couldn't.

I like the way Chess played this hand.

/mc

Nottom
08-14-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that there is almost no chance that you will get AK to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason this is true is because there is no way he should have AK here. However you should be able to get KQ to fold ... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nottom
08-14-2004, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should button have folded the turn? what about on the flop, should button have gone for the free card or put more money in the pot with his draw

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he should fold the turn, but he shouldn't be 3-betting preflop with KQo and he certainly shouldn't be calling the river unimproved.

cold_cash
08-14-2004, 02:23 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Button's call of the turn raise.

After he made it though I would be thinking AJs, rather than AK.

Is that totally out of whack?

SnakeRat
08-14-2004, 02:27 AM
I was thinking QQ,KK,AA, a stubborn AK.

KQ and AJ are also possible, but I would not expect those to 3-bet preflop.

cold_cash
08-14-2004, 02:34 AM
It seems like AA, QQ, or KK would raise the turn instead of cold-calling.

I'm guessing there are only 3 hands our hero would raise with pre-flop that the button would be afraid of if he had a big pair. (ATs, JJ, or the unlikely TT).

If the button has KK you could add AA to to that list, I guess.

I don't really know... was just thinking out loud.