PDA

View Full Version : End it now?

JustOnce
08-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi, new to this forum, been reading for a while and find the information I've gained so far to be invaluable. I'll be posting questions from time to time and hope they're not too simplistic in nature and will help others who read them as well.
I was playing in a $5 SNG at Pacific tonight and it was down to me and one other person. I had about 7000 and he was at 1000. The blinds were up to 250/500. He was in the BB, so he had 500 committed to the pot and 500 left. I was dealt 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif I completed, he raised all-in, and I called. He was not a bluffer at all, right down to the end, so I had him on a face card at least. Of course it's desperation point for him at this point so that's not a given. My question is, should I be calling, with the knowledge I'd be a slight dog most likely, but also knowing that by winning I'd take him out, but by folding I'd be giving him a bit more life? Even not given this specific situation but more generally speaking, should you go all in as a dog or slight dog when you have a big chip lead and you know you can end the tournament right there?

ilya
08-14-2004, 12:50 AM
You should definitely, absolutely call here once you've completed and he's raised all-in. Never mind that your actual hand does quite decently in all-in confrontations -- you should call here with any two cards. You're getting 3:1 odds on your call, and you can't figure that any hand you might have is that big of an underdog.

However, if I felt that my opponent would continue to be as tight as you described on the next hand, I might fold here. This is because he is so shortstacked now that he will almost certainly play this hand no matter how tight he is, and he will likely be a favorite. You can wait until you're likely to be the favorite before putting him all-in like this -- but only if he really is very very tight and quite likely to fold his small blind to you on the next hand.
However, if you think he's tight enough to fold the bottom 10-20% of his hands even here, you should push. The small chance of taking down the pot right there now compensates for the advantage he's likely to have when he calls.

Jurollo
08-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Basically in SNGs with 8000 total chips if my opponent has less than 1500 I am pushing All-In every hand. Even with two under cards you are 40% and if your opponent were to double up you'd still have the chip lead, not to mention the added bonus of him possibly folding to your all-in makes this the right play in my mind.

RPatterson
08-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Those blinds are so big easy call with any suited connector.