PDA

View Full Version : Hand from the 2+2 table, your move..?

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font> ...

your move and why..

dfscott
08-14-2004, 12:30 AM
I ran into almost this same hand today. It's tempting to slowplay this, however, I think I'd go ahead and raise it up. It looks like the SB might be on JJ, in which case you're not losing him. Hard to say what button has, but a big overpair isn't out of the question, which means he's likely headed for the turn at least.

The reason I'm a bit loathe to slowplay is because when I had this same hand tonight (only it was KK on a JKx flop), and I slowplayed it, just cold calling 2. A T came on the turn and an A on the river, and I lost to QQ.

DeathDonkey
08-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Call and see what the button does. Best case scenario you get to C/R them both on the turn if the button is in control. If he shuts down and the SB leads the turn your not nearly as thrilled, but you must raise at that point anyway.

You flop g00T!

-DeathDonkey

Nottom
08-14-2004, 12:46 AM
3-bet because a coldcall here should send up giant red warning flags to anybody at that table while a check 3-bet may not.

btspider
08-14-2004, 12:49 AM
I like a flop bet better. The PF cap means a strong hand. Even AK would want to bet this flop to buy the button. The check is a warning signal, especially if followed up with a 3-bet.

I'd also put SB on AJ (likely) or AQ (less likely due to Hero's QQ) instead of JJ. I think SB check-raised to try to fold Hero's "AK". JJ would likely bet out hoping for the auto-raise behind. the check-raise seems to indicate a weaker holding than a flat out bet knowing a raise is likely with this board.

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 12:53 AM
agreed, under normal circumstancesi would lead this and hope for action for sure, but i had been check raising the flop all night and people were playing back at me huge the surprise was the checkraise from the sb (who was easypete btw)

flair1239
08-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Raise, because you have the nuts.

btspider
08-14-2004, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the surprise was the checkraise from the sb (who was easypete btw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Button Open-Limper? i'm not surprised at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 01:01 AM
hehe this was pre the open limp and he ruined my c/r plans

easypete
08-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Fold pf.

Fold on the flop.

Nottom
08-14-2004, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pf.

Fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the river.

easypete
08-14-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the surprise was the checkraise from the sb (who was easypete btw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Button Open-Limper? i'm not surprised at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i have reasons for everything this time around.... maybe.... don't remember.

illunious
08-14-2004, 02:17 AM
Go all in, or just raise some more.

Navers
08-14-2004, 02:42 AM
You don't have to check to cause any more deception. They're raising, so if you reraise there's no reason to think that they won't call your bets now or on the next street.

btspider
08-14-2004, 09:36 AM
turn this into a play along if there is interesting action afterwards.

Goon2
08-14-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm betting at every opporunity.

Trix
08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Folding the 3. best hand in holdem to a stealraise and a SB defend is probably not what you want to do :P

Trix
08-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Bet the flop, this is too sneaky.

nothumb
08-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Well, at the 2+2 table you might as well fire away, because everyone will berate you for making a suspicious cold-call and announcing QQ even if you do get some extra bets on the turn.

Anywhere else I would wait for the turn and raise or check-raise as the opportunity presented itself.

NT

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

i immediately said "[censored]! i shoulda smooth called!!" i think i made 2 mistakes here, firstly i shoulda bet the flop instead of the checkraise, although i had been checkraising the flop all night to some really good action. easypete was on a stone cold bluff, who knows what he had and i dont knwo what flair had either but probably an underpair if i were to put him on a hand.

i really think the reraise was terrible in this situation, especially given my position to easy pete, i think i should have called and hoped for the overcall and popped the turn with the line i chose, making me atleast 1 more BB here and not forcing flair to call 2 more on the flop. this could also be very results oriented thinking. I think the bigger mistake was not just betting out although that might have raised a few eyebrows too as every hand i played i checkraised the flop haha, it only whiffed once!

easypete
08-14-2004, 12:28 PM
OK... I said I had reasons for everything. Here it is:

The button stated about 10-20 hands earlier that he was weak-tight. After that, I re-raised him all night long. Pushed him off of hands. It was for the good of the button. After doing this for about an hour, the button, I believe, got rid of some weak tendencies and started to play better.

I had something like A9s (in clubs). My pf play was not good, my flop play was not good. I'm no good. I figured pf, that I had an Ace (which was good against the button)... In most cases like this, I isolated the button, but nooooo... kgrad had to get in the way /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.... As for the flop, the button bet, I was trying to push kgrad off his hand to isolate the button (which I was winning about 2 out of 3 pots doing so), that didn't work, so i had to release to the 3-bet. I was drawing real thin.

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 12:34 PM
after some more thought on this hand i think my play was fine for the line i chose "when a pot gets big do what you can to win it right away" my hand is the nuts right now but very vulnerable and AK has odds to draw to his 10. i still think i should have bet out here and raise/capped any action but the more i think about it this is good too.