PDA

View Full Version : Calling it down with bottom pair ace kicker

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 07:48 PM
BB is a lag, otherwise I'd have never made the flop raise. I thought that I might be able to push CO off a better hand on the flop and I had outs if I couldn't. After the three bet I decided to call it down based on a previous hand where BB had led all the way with a six high. Am I out of my gourd here, or is this a decent play? As always, thanks for the constructive criticism.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Gravino
08-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Being the first one in, I probably would have raised or folded. You really want to hit a flush with A x suited and there weren't enough players in the pot to really justify making the attempt. A raise before the flop may help you win the pot in a later round with a less than premium hand.

Nottom
08-13-2004, 09:06 PM
I fold on the flop. Pots too small to really get involved with a weak hand and lots of ways to lose.

Getting people to play out of their normal game is how LAGs make their money.

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold on the flop. Pots too small to really get involved with a weak hand and lots of ways to lose.

Getting people to play out of their normal game is how LAGs make their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It's 8-1 on the call and I've got about that good of a chance to make two pair or better by the river. This guy had been showing down some real garbage.

poorbus96
08-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Ya really, fold the flop. Bottom pair, none of your suit on the board, dont fight with a LAG just because hes a LAG. Thats what he wants.

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 10:28 PM
I double checked this one in SSHE and you guys are right. I should have folded the flop if not preflop. I actually took this one down, but I guess I shouldn't have played it without at least a backdoor draw. He had something truly awful though.

Nottom
08-13-2004, 10:50 PM
If he is a complete nutjob (i.e. raising litterally any two and keeping it up postflop, I run into those types on occasion), then maybe your play is fine. Against your typical lag its usually best to wait for a better spot.

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he is a complete nutjob (i.e. raising litterally any two and keeping it up postflop, I run into those types on occasion), then maybe your play is fine. Against your typical lag its usually best to wait for a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the prior hand that made me decide to play this one against him. I'm not positive he was a lag, he may just have been a drunken mental patient. He's UTG+2 in this hand. Now that I look at it his postflop play in this hand was solid, but I can't see any reason for a UTG+2 raise w/ 52o, assuming he didn't have a pattern map.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (19 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (24 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 27 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 27 BB, between UTG+2, CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (27 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Jc (two pair, jacks and fours).
UTG+2 shows 5h 2c (one pair, fours).
CO shows Ad Tc (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 27 BB. </font>