PDA

View Full Version : JJ in the SB

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 07:39 PM
First off, anyone cap this preflop? Given the preflop action I figured I'd go for a check raise on the flop with an overpair, since I'm trying not to actively look for monsters. Do you like the idea? Given the reraise after my check raise, was I right to call it down, or should I have kept pushing it. I know there's nowhere to fold this. Thanks.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (19 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (24 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 27 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 27 BB, between UTG+2, CO and Hero.</font>

Nottom
08-13-2004, 07:49 PM
This hand plays out kind of funny because the pre-flop 3-bettor goes away on the flop. With so many players hanging around and the fact that UTG+2 didn't cap pre-flop I think you have a reasonable chance of still being ahead here.

But your hand is vulnerable and the pot is big so you need to do something on the turn to try and get rid of a couple of the callers. I think your best chance to do that is to bet the turn and hope to get raised by UTG+2.

Gravino
08-13-2004, 07:57 PM
I probably would have bet or check-raised the flop to see where I'm at. I don't like calling here because of the two /images/graemlins/spade.gifs on the flop.

spacemonkey57
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I figured I was ahead until he raised the check raise. It threw me off and made me worry he was the kind too timid to cap w KK. The only hand I thought that UTG+2 could have had that I was behind was QQ. Since I was practically closing the action would it have been better to cap and then lead the turn and call it down if raised?

1p0kerb0y
08-13-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have bet or check-raised the flop to see where I'm at. I don't like calling here because of the two s on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did check- raise the flop.

Two alternatives to the play of this hand would be to either bet out on the flop or to bet out on the turn. Obviously the KK isn't going anywhere, and you aren't either with an overpair to the board, but by betting the flop, UTG+2 would have raised, making it 2 SB for everyone else to call before it gets back to you. This will help to eliminate players. Once you check the flop though, it is important NOT to raise because the bet came from an EP player, meaning everybody who was still in had already called one bet and probably weren't going to fold for another. Then the pot gets big and everybody is playing correctly by calling with longshot draws and overcards.