PDA

View Full Version : Flopped quads!

tylerdurden
08-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qc Qs (four of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.25 BB. </font>

My first quads on party! The only thing I could have done differently is bet out or check raise on the flop... I think I played this one pretty well.

SomethingClever
08-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd certainly bet the flop and turn. There are two hearts out, and nobody's going to fold a flush draw.

h_ven
08-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Ya, I'd check raise the flop and then keep betting out.
It's too bad the heart on the river didn't get you a 3-bet opportunity.
Nice hand.

Sent
08-13-2004, 07:01 PM
I would bet out the flop

-Sent

tylerdurden
08-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Bet or CR on the flop seems to be the consensus, but is it worth the possibility of scaring off the only other player vs. the chance of getting him for the big bets on the turn and river? At least, that was my thinking. Is slowplay a loser strategy against loose microlimit players?

ErrantNight
08-13-2004, 07:20 PM
people are wrong... if there's ever a time to slowplay, it's here... there's no draw to a better hand than yours, the only thing that can happen is they improve... particularly with betting leading behind you... you might get unlucky and lose a bet or two here, but you've got to give your opposition every chance to catch something here... there are of course many times when betting out will be beneficial, but that attitude that you must bet seems plenty wrong here

SnakeRat
08-13-2004, 07:29 PM
There doesnt need to draws to a better hand than yours, just draws that people think might be to better hands than yours.

I usually play with my hands face down.

Bet, they dont know you have quads.

JDErickson
08-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Bet out on the flop. They have no idea you have Quads and probably think that you don't have a Q either. I may smooth call a raise on the flop. If they all call then lead the turn also.

SomethingClever
08-13-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There doesnt need to draws to a better hand than yours, just draws that people think might be to better hands than yours.

Bet, they dont know you have quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. Good post.

If I have two hearts on this flop, I'm ramming and jamming. Then I'll kick the computer monitor when I make my flush and lose to quads.

BradleyT
08-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Well his opponents certainly don't have any queens and it's doubtful they're going to stick around with a lone 2. This is a case where he got too much flop.

It's doubtful a flush draw is out there. I certainly check and hope for a broadway card on the turn so someone can catch up. If the flop was QQx where x &gt; 9 then I agree with betting out, but not when it's a 2 - that isn't going to hit anyones hand.

Luv2DriveTT
08-13-2004, 10:48 PM
I won't comment on the flop, its already been discussed. By the river play wasn't the greatest - here is why:

I would put the opponent on a Queen or a flush draw going into the River. Therefore this time it is better to Check. Let the opponent bet to take you down thinking he has got the better hand, and then 3-bet on top of him. Since he folded against your bet, my strategy may have given you another big bet or two.

In da Club /images/graemlins/club.gif

Nottom
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Typically when one of my opponents raises preflop and then checks a board like this, it means I'm screwed.

Bet the flop, its what people expect you to do.

tylerdurden
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
That's a good point, but seems sophisticated for $1/2.

I'm actually surprised by all this discussion. I really just wanted to post this to brag about my quads. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kgrad5
08-14-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what silly game are YOU playing?

Marquis
08-14-2004, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would put the opponent on a Queen or a flush draw going into the River.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the old 5th Queen theory.

- 6 Queens, read 'em and weep.
- Not so fast. 7 Queens.
/Fat Tony

o0mr_bill0o
08-14-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Typically when one of my opponents raises preflop and then checks a board like this, it means I'm screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

very, very true. I doubt that most party players will catch on to that, but that read has been absolutely 100% correct for me so far. a preflop raise and then a check on the flop screams "holy [censored], i just hit this flop harder than mike tyson hit the floor against buster douglas."

SoCalPat
08-14-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100 percent. But we only notice that because we're observant players. The attention span of small-stakes and micro players is so small, if you check this flop, there's no way in hell they'll ever put you on a singleton Q, much less QQ, at any point in the rest of the hand.

End result? More than likely those bets you may have missed on the flop will be returned four-fold on the more expensive streets.

In any case, the only absolute point in this hand in which I would check is the flop. Any time the action's back to me thereafter, I'm jammin' it.

Ric
08-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Once when I flopped quads the turn was capped 5 ways for some reason. That was a nice pot.

Agreeing with everyone who said 'bet the flop'. Actually betting a good flopped hand is not the norm.