PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football question

SossMan
08-13-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm playing in a league (not the 2+2 league) that has some funky scoring changes.

They give bonus points for the following:

Receptions:
3 pts for 5+ receptions in a game
7 pts for 10+ receptions in a game

TDs:

All "normal" TDs (I'll define normal) are 6 pts
bonus 3 pts (9 total) for TDs of btwn 20-49 yds
bonus 6 pts (12 total) for TDs over 50+ yds

**Normal TD would be a passing TD for a QB, a running TD for a RB, and a receiving TD for a WR/TE

Non-normal TDs:

9 pts for a RB throwing or recieving a TD (in addition to the yardage bonuses)
9 pts for a WR rushing or passing a TD
9 pts for a QB rushing or receiving a TD

So, if Ahman Green has a 55 yard receiving TD, it would be worth 15 pts.
If Vick has a 2 yard TD run, it's worth 9 pts
If Moss has a 33 yard TD score on a reverse, its worth 12 pts.

Yardage:

RBs: 1 pt for every 20 yards rushing plus bonus 5 pts for going over 100 yards.
1 pt for every 10 yards over 100 yards. So, 95 yards would be 4 points and 110 yards would be 11 points.
1 point for every 20 yards receiving plus bonus 3 pts @ 50 yds in a game, 1 pt for every 10 yards over 50.
So, if Tomlinson has 48 yards receiving, he gets 2 pts...if he has 83 yards receiving, he gets 8 pts.

QBs:
1 point for every 50 yards passing plus 5 bonus points for 250+yards. 1 point for every 20 yards over 250 in a game.
Rushing for QBs is the same scoring as receiving for RBs.

WR: Point system for receiving is the same as rushing for RBs. Rushing is same as rushing for QBs.

In short, they give points for players having big games and for doing things that that position doesn't normally do.

How should this effect my drafting strategy?

Should I stick with the draft RBs early philosophy, or should I load up early on WRs and a top TE and later RBs who can catch the ball?
Should I be taking flyers on guys who make big plays (Stallworth, Tatum Bell, etc...)?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Randy Moss is good for at least one thrown TD a season and probably one or two on a reverse in addition to the other uber-numbers he puts up.

I would think a good receiving RB would be at a premium. Ahman Green, Edgerin, etc.

mikeyvegas
08-13-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think a good receiving RB would be at a premium. Ahman Green, Edgerin, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

...LaDainian Tomlinson

The Armchair
08-14-2004, 12:03 AM
LaDanian Tomlinson, and Jeff Garcia come to mind as very valuable -- LT had 100 catches last year (lead the AFC), and Garcia is going to get a good # of rushing TDs. Vick/Culpepper also will get a fair share of rushing TDs, but they're so obvious, they'll be greatly overvalued.

Michael Pittman had 75 catches last year but isn't going to start this year. But that may mean Charlie Garner's value goes up, as he takes the job. He's risky, though. Tiki Barber and Moe Williams also had a ton of catches (60+) but both have ill-define jobs. I'd grab Tiki in a late round.

There's virtually no gain to be gotten from your wide receivers due to the odd scoring. None of them regularly rush or pass. A quick look shows that Peter Warrick had about 150 yards on the ground, but that's going to give you a marginal boost, and not enough to vault him higher than he'd normally go. Antwaan Randle El had four passes last year -- for six yards and no TD. Randy Moss? 1-4 over the last two years, but it was for a TD. But he's the best WR by a lot anyway.

QB: The only bargain is Garcia. Culpepper/Vick are obvious and QBs are almost always overvalued in drafts. Same thing w/McNabb. David Carr is a decent sleeper but is in general a suck-fest. I'd also be willing to roll the dice on Jake the Snake Plummer (3 TD last year but in 11 games).

vulturesrow
08-14-2004, 12:29 AM
I think Garcia is going to be a risky pick this year with TO gone..

The Armchair
08-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Garcia is throwing to a crowded yet talented pool of receivers in Northcutt, QMorgan, 3rd-year guy Andre Davis, and of course, Kellen Winslow Jr. He'll have plenty of targets.

The question is, will he have an offensive line and running game to complement the passing? If not, he'll scramble a lot -- which is a benefit in this league archetype.