PDA

View Full Version : The next thing in fantasy...

Wahoo91
08-13-2004, 05:38 PM
I am looking for something new to read in the Fantasy genre. I am almost finished book 5 of The Belgariad, a very nice series.

Anyone have a recommendation of their favorite fantasy novel or series?

BTW my favorite series of all time is Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny... I recently finished the Heroes Die series by Matthew Woodring Stover, and the Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore, I recommned them both very highly.

natedogg
08-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Try the two Sarantium books by Guy Gavriel Kay.

natedogg

vulturesrow
08-13-2004, 11:53 PM
I trust youve read R.R. George Martin's series? Awesome stuff.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2004, 02:24 PM
The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Also check out Mordant's Need, same author.

The Vlad Taltos series, Steven Brust.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist.

Bio of a Space Tyrant, Piers Anthony.

vulturesrow
08-14-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes most definitely..anything by Feist really, but the Riftwar saga kicks much ass.

Wahoo91
08-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I trust youve read R.R. George Martin's series? Awesome stuff.

vulturesrow-
A Song of Ice and Fire is some of the best fantasy I have ever read. I can not wait for A Feast for Crows to come out. Its killing me that it is so delayed...

Wahoo91
08-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Clarkmeister-
Thanks!

I will check those out, particularly Thomas Covenant. I have never gotten around to the The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever books even though they have been around a long time (late 70's early 80's maybe?). I am glad you reminded me of those.

I have read the entire Riftwar series in the last year or two and fondly remember Pug, Thomas, Prince Arutha, and Jimmy the Hand's adventures. I never got around to SerpentWar, are those any good? I heard they were not...

scotnt73
08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
salvatores new series the 1000 orcs is one of the best ive ever read.

vulturesrow
08-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah man I cant wait much longer for feast of crows. The Serpent War series is good..if you liked teh Riftware saga you will like this. Go for it.

Chris

PS Dont even get me started on the uber kickassness of the Amber Chronicles.

Taxman
08-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Man, we've got a bunch of nerds on this board /images/graemlins/grin.gif. That's ok though, fantasy series are a guilty pleasure of mine own as well. Thanks for posting this thread because while I've read several of the series mentioned, I have not found a good new one for a while. Sorry for the unhelpful post, but I'll be damned if I don't get a carpal tunnel title sooner or later!

Il_Mostro
08-17-2004, 03:51 AM
Anything by Neil Gaiman. While not strictly fantasy, it's really awesome stuff. American Gods, Neverland. Taking its stance in our world, but twisting it very cleverly.
Also, if you havn't read it, Bad Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett, extraordinarily funny

Orson Scott Card:s Alvin Maker series is not bad. Also his Ender series is fantastic, although SF rather than fantasy

daveymck
08-17-2004, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Also check out Mordant's Need, same author.

The Vlad Taltos series, Steven Brust.

Bio of a Space Tyrant, Piers Anthony.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read the Thomas Covenant books and I enjoyed the first series but found it very tough going, its more high brow fantasy than the belgariad etc. I wuld read the Morgants need series first is enjoyable but will get you used to his writing style.

Tad Williams is good as well.

For more light weight fantasy then to my mind there is none better than David Gemmell have really enjoyed everything he has done and have even reread a few of his books multiple times.

Another heavyweight series is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, is up to book 10 each one 6-800 pages so pleanty of reading in it.

I also echo the pratchett comments I like his work as well dunno how well the humour comes across for americans as it seems more british humour to me.

vehns_woman
08-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Heh, Vehn emailed me a link to this thread before he went to bed - he knew I would be interested.
The Vlad Taltos series by Brust is FANTASTIC (and since he's a poker player, he may just see this message!). I can't recommend it stronglty enough. I wasn't too hip to the stuff he wrote with Emma Bull, or to the "elf" books that accompany the Taltos series, but the Taltos books themselves are pure gold IMHO.
Dennis McKiernan - I am shocked (shocked, I say!) that no one has mentioned this man so far. Great epic-style fantasy, without the neverending aspect of Jordan. He also never once has a female character yank her braid at a man ... Start with Caverns of Socrates for a really cool fantasy/scifi twist, especially cool if you are (or ever were ) into PnP games or MUDs.
Anything by SM Stirling - technically these novels are scifi as they fall under they speculative fiction category, but I generally consider them fanasty as the story begins with "what would have happened if XXXX". One series sends the island of Nantucket back to the bronze age. Conquistador opens a portal from post WWII California back in time, and the Peshawar Lancers begins with an ice age descending on Victorian England.

Hopefully these will keep you busy for a while =)
Regards,
Vehn's Woman

wayabvpar
08-17-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Vlad Taltos series by Brust is FANTASTIC (and since he's a poker player, he may just see this message!). I can't recommend it stronglty enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. The Taltos books are awesome. I also LOVED Agyar.

Add me to the GRR Martin fan list- really a great story. I have to disagree with the Salvatore fans, however. I have LOATHED every book of his I have read (only 2 or 3). Even if he wrote the 2nd coming of LotR, I still could never forgive him for unleashing the abomination that is Drizz't onto the unsuspecting fantasy lit public.

Garbonzo
08-17-2004, 03:09 PM
I just want to add, The Martin series is incredible. In fact I use Wintercomes@yahoo. com as one of my e-mail adresses.

However, the time between books drives me nuts. I smoke(d) too much ganja ganja to be reading a series one book every two years in a series. I have decided to put the entire series on old indefenitely until a couple more are out, than starting over at the beginning again. The lag drives me nuts and I can't remember the details well enough going into the next book....

If you like Science Fiction, like many fantasy readers do, try most books by Ian Banks. I really enjoy his stories.

Clarkmeister
08-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't remember the series, but McKiernan had something that was a straight-up ripoff of LOTR and I never read him again.

Wahoo91
08-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi all-
Thanks for all the great ideas. I ordered "The Dragonbone Chair" for my next epic. I have marked this thread to keep me busy for a while.

Il_Mostro:
You are right on with Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game and the folling books (Ender's Shadow, et. al.) are absolutely amazing.

Wahoo91
08-17-2004, 06:34 PM
I have to disagree with the Salvatore fans, however. I have LOATHED every book of his I have read (only 2 or 3). Even if he wrote the 2nd coming of LotR, I still could never forgive him for unleashing the abomination that is Drizz't onto the unsuspecting fantasy lit public.

I agree with you for all Drizz't books after the first 4-5. The first three are an A+ with much self exploration and introspection on the part of Drizz't. After the 4th book or so Salvatore resorts to what I call the "Star Wars Problem", e.g. no character development, simply "see Drizz't (Luke) run, see Drizz't (Luke) jump, see Drizz't (Luke)fight.

I really recommend that anyone read the first book and see if you change your mind... Look at the reviews from the first book highlighted below.

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0880389052/qid=1092781857/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-4288790-7717616)

Clarkmeister
08-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Excellent choice. That's really a great series.

Clarkmeister
10-19-2004, 11:59 PM
bump

doughhater
10-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Don't forget the Fionavar Tapestry, also by Guy Gavriel Kay.