PDA

View Full Version : TPTK, Nutflush Draw, Out of Position

SnakeRat
08-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Opponent was a tightish ABC type.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Whats the best way to attack this one?

Any guesses on villain's holding?

Thoughts appreciated.

me454555
08-13-2004, 04:32 PM
3 bet the flop, call the turn raise if you 3 bet the flop.

mikeyvegas
08-13-2004, 04:35 PM
I like your line, I would have played it the same.

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Opponent was a tightish ABC type.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly what this means or what MP2 is like. However, the idea behind raising ATs preflop is that they play trash and therefore you have a big edge on average.

It sounds like this opponent's average UTG limping hand may be an even match for ATs when shorthanded. You are out-of-position and your raise gives a lot of information compared with checking. At some point these factors become more important than a dwindling edge in hand strength and you should consider checking preflop.

I would 3-bet because I fear him taking a free card with a dominated flush draw. The negative EV of that is terrible. Your checkraise play is also reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
Any guesses on villain's holding?

[/ QUOTE ]
Likely: 88-66, suited ten-paint, AT.
Others: A4s, A2s, 33.

MoreWineII
08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I prefer 3-betting the flop and leading the turn but your line is reasonable too.

BaronVonCP
08-13-2004, 05:43 PM
3bet the flop, you don't want him taking a free one.

SnakeRat
08-13-2004, 05:51 PM
I was worried he would fold a T or middle pair if I 3-bet the flop and bet the turn, that looks to be the better default play however.

I guess I didn't have a good read on him as he showed me 44 for a near nut hand.
Its funny how people always seem to 3-bet me with garbage and call me with monsters in this game.

W. Deranged
08-13-2004, 05:52 PM
1. I probably would check and take a flop here, as you are unlikely to be that far ahead, particularly if the MP player is a tight and uncreative type.

2. I originally was going to post a comment that you should three-bet the flop, but I really think that your play is best here. You get an extra half-bet in with what is certainly the best hand (JJ or higher would have likely raised pre-flop, so the only hands you're worried about are 44 and 22, and you'll take the risk of those). If the raise is a free card play from your opponent (with KdQd or similar), then I think that your play is still correct, because even if the turn is checked through, you are almost certainly going to be able to collect three bets on the river if the flush comes, unless your opponent is very weak. (The turn goes check-check... you bet the river, your opponent raises with the bad flush, you three-bet... if you're lucky, your opponent may even put in a fourth bet and then you're really in the money.) I think the added EV from the extra-half bet on the flop when the check-raise works, plus the extra bets earned if the flush comes outweigh the times when the turn gets checked and you lose a bet there.

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because even if the turn is checked through, you are almost certainly going to be able to collect three bets on the river if the flush comes

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand this idea. Calling the flop and checking the turn is something a nut flush draw would probably do. 3-betting the flop, betting the turn, and generally being a total bully is what a made hand would do.

I would expect the 3-bet, aggressive line to be more likely to get excess action when the flush hits on the river.

Not that I think it matters. Probably you get raised by a flush no matter what.

Garland
08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Preflop: I'm not too thrilled about the raise because of the nature of your opponent (ABC-tightish), but ok.

Flop: Easy 3-bet

Turn: Given that you didn't 3-bet, your check-raise was fine. Otherwise, lead if you 3-bet.

River: Plays itself

Your opponent probably has a weaker 10 like K10 or Q10. He possibly has A10. And if he's playing tight, they should all be suited from UTG.

Garland

mikeyvegas
08-13-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I didn't have a good read on him as he showed me 44 for a near nut hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, that was pretty cool of your opponent to not charge you more on the river.

Second, the reason why I liked your line was because with his flop raise it created a heads-up pot for the turn with the raiser having position on you. In my experience with typical party opponents in this situation, they will bet the turn like 97%(made of stat, but you get my point) of time which sets up perfectly for the turn check-raise. This line will yield you an extra SB vs. the 3-bet/lead the turn approach. If MP2 would have cold called the flop raise, then I would have 3-bet the flop.

elindauer
08-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I think you should reraise the flop. You are the favorite against almost every hand, and you really don't want the turn to get checked through, no matter what comes off. Take the lead, make him pay to draw, and hope the flush gets there when you'll certainly take him for 3 bets on the river.

my 2 cents.
Eric

PS. This post would have been better if you'd ended it with: Hero bets. That's all we need to know to analyze your play, and it leaves open many more possibilities for your opponent's holding.

Trix
08-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I like and dont see any reason to 3bet the flop and let the opponent find out that you have a pair and give him a chance of getting away cheap with a weak hand. I dont think he will check the turn very often here as itīs HU, you have represented missed overcards with your flop call and he might get a free showdown if he bets.

Give that he limped UTG and you have Ad and Td, there arenīt many flushdraws he can be raising for a freebie here and even if he is then he will most likely bet the turn anyway as itīs HU now.

I think TP-weaker kicker or a pocket pair are his most likely hands and I dont like letting the pocket pairs off cheap by 3betting the flop.