PDA

View Full Version : i am going to start to learn to play limit but should i

TheSheath
08-13-2004, 03:21 PM
i am 15, 16 in 5 days. i play no limit holdem tourny style a lot with my friends. but now i know that money games are mostly limit. so should i try to learn to play and play it now or just forget about it for now. don't college guys play n/l? now i don't go to college so i obviously wouldn't know that. i do have one question on limit holdem. if the game is 1/2 that means u can only bet 1.XX - 2 dollars and nothing more nor less correct? and when u raise its the same thing no more no less. thanks.

PITTM
08-13-2004, 03:44 PM
that is limit yes, and from being in college, i know that people in college generally play...either one. i play n/l and limit, a lot of kids from my school play limit and a lot play no limit. the limit betting structure is fairly simple, in a 2/4 game, there are 1/2 blinds and it is 2 dollars to call the initial bet, if you want to raise you can raise to 4 dollars, after the turn the bet turns into 4, raising to 8. by the way try to wait till youre 18 to start playing.

rj

TheSheath
08-13-2004, 04:14 PM
ok why 18? and so the pot in 2/4 game will always involve even number call and raises like on the turn i can't bet 5 it has to be 4 or 8?? thanks. and why 18?!?

PITTM
08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
yes, it has to be 2 or 4, and in increments of these numbers, play some fake money party poker to get the hang of it. I myself am only 21, so saying that youre too young to play probably sounds a little lame, but if i started playing when i was 16 as opposed to 19 i think i would have lost far more money. let your maturity level increase and your mathematical understanding of the game increase before you start playing too much for real money. also, IMO limit games are MUCH less fun as home games than NL games.

rj

Sponger15SB
08-13-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok why 18? and so the pot in 2/4 game will always involve even number call and raises like on the turn i can't bet 5 it has to be 4 or 8?? thanks. and why 18?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure there are a lot of posters on this site who have let their sons/daughters play, and are much younger than you.

however, they do it under adult supervision. it would be very hard for me to believe that you have an adequate bankroll for even something such as $1/2, and that you would have the discipline or anything to keep it up.

you've found this site, which puts you at a huge advantage to most poker players, however are you mature enough to handle everything that goes along with poker right now? do your parents support someone so young as you gambling?

if your parents are supportive, have your dad or someone use their credit card and deposit into pokerstars, minimum buy in is $50, you can play tiny limit and no-limit games there with relatively low risk.

another tip would be to go to www.pokerpages.com (http://www.pokerpages.com) and download their software, you can play tourneys for free all day every day, i did this when i first started out and it was a ton of fun.

sure, right now you might be able to beat a few of your friends, but next you'll be playing against 20+ year olds who have played tens of thousands of hands, and have a much higher and deeper understanding of the game than you've ever come close to.

good luck, with a little determination and practice it isn't hard to beat the micro limit games.

TheSheath
08-13-2004, 05:05 PM
ok i understand now. i don't think the maturity issue will be a problem but the money. i dont' have a big enough bankroll for a 1/2 game and i wouldn't really have anywhere to play one b/c no one plays it. everyone plays n/l. yea home games are better no limit then limit.

pudley4
08-13-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need to go really slowly.

Let's say you are playing a 4/8 limit game. This means that all bets and raises for the first two rounds (preflop and on the flop) must be exactly $4. Not $1, not $5, not $16 - exactly $4. This amount is referred to as the small bet. On the final two rounds, the bets and raises must be exactly $8 each. Not $4 or $8 - always exactly $8. This amount is referred to as the big bet (The only exception is if a player doesn't have enough to make a full bet, and so bets a smaller amount all-in).

The blinds in this (and most limit games) are standardized - the small blind is 1/2 the amount of the small bet. The big blind is equal to the small bet. (I think you can figure out what the small blind and big blind amounts are for our 4/8 game). The blind structure can be slightly different if the small bet is an odd number (a 3/6 game has $1 and $3 blinds).

In general, this is the same structure used in the vast majority of limit games (regardless of the size of the game)

cnfuzzd
08-13-2004, 06:42 PM
<<<I think we need to go really slowly.>>>

Too fast. First lesson. Sentence structure, and some rudimentary grammer.

peace

john nickle

umdpoker
08-13-2004, 07:23 PM
"Too fast. First lesson. Sentence structure, and some rudimentary grammer."

I don't like to rip on people for stupid english errors, but this is too funny to let go. I assume this is a joke.

Emoney
08-13-2004, 10:08 PM
i tried to figure out a way to say this nicely, but couldn't this all have gone into one thread instead of 4 or more?

Malarky
08-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Stop. Posting. Threads.