PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Politics

Dynasty
08-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Florida, a battleground state, is about to get hit by two hurricanes. Hurricane Charlie, hitting on Friday afternoon, is a big Category 4 which should cause catastophic damage and some deaths.

In the middle of or late next week, we'll see both President Bush and Senator Kerry touring the damaged areas. The President will obviously be able to provide funding to Florida to rebuild.

How do you think this could impact the election?

Zeno
08-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Not much. The election is still 'far away' and other matters, much larger and/or more lasting in substance and scope will be more important and factor into who wins.

The hurricane will be a wave that splashes around a bit and then quickly subsides. Unless something really terrible occurs and the response is bungled in some way.

-Zeno

cardcounter0
08-13-2004, 04:12 PM
From a New York Times article August 11th, about Bush campaigning in Florida:

"Mr. Bush's appearance took on the air of a revival meeting as the audience chanted affirmation to his description of the rationale for his antiterror efforts and roared at any religious reference. Gary Walby, a resident of nearby Destin, told the president during a question-and-answer session that though he always voted Republican, "this is the very first time I felt God was in the White House."

God was not immediately available for comment, but was believed to be angry:

"A state of emergency was declared for all of Florida on Thursday as the one-two punch of a tropical storm and then a hurricane raged closer, the first time the state has faced such a potentially messy plight in almost a century."
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

El Barto
08-13-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hurricane Is All Bush's Fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. If only he signed the Kyoto agreement.....

Malarky
08-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm just hoping for lots of footage of the reporter on the scene fighting against the winds and rain. That's always great. The guy is about to be lifted off the ground or impaled by flying debris, and then he sends it back to the newsroom where the anchors are dressed in suits.

That's the best part about living in South Florida.

Zeno
08-13-2004, 05:18 PM
This never would have happened if Bush had just listened to the French.

-Zeno

Dynasty
08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just hoping for lots of footage of the reporter on the scene fighting against the winds and rain. That's always great. The guy is about to be lifted off the ground or impaled by flying debris, and then he sends it back to the newsroom where the anchors are dressed in suits.

That's the best part about living in South Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

In New England, they have reporters whose only job seems to be to stand in ten degree weather during really bad snow storms and say things like "It's really snowing hard here in Fitchburg". They usually have rulers to measure how much snow has fallen and talk about how well or how bad the streets are being plowed.

These reporters are out in horrendous weather for the length of the storm and end up getting about ten minutes air time over the course of the day to repeat the same message again and again.

But, it's a good visual.

SossMan
08-13-2004, 06:19 PM
In Los Angeles, when there is rain for more than 5 hours at a time, the news goes to 24 hour STORM WATCH 2004!!. They have reporters at schools talking about how little johnny had to wear his rain slicker and boots this morning. Canned video of the random overflooded storm drain is also popular.

andyfox
08-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Could only hurt Bush if federal aid doesn't come in quickly enough and in big amounts. I think it might be a no-win situation for him (the hurricane, not the state).

BTW, I thought that, for the most part, Bush did very well with Larry King last night. If he's that smooth in the debates, the momentum could well shift to his side.

MMMMMM
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
"If he's that smooth in the debates, the momentum could well shift to his side."

Especially if his opponent can't make any definitive points which would require taking a stance.

Zeno
08-14-2004, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I thought that, for the most part, Bush did very well with Larry King last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only watched a little bit but Bush was surprisingly good. He still stumbles around etc. but he was calm, confident, and presented himself well. Having his wife at his side may have helped.

Kerry, I think, needs to alter his speech style and delivery, in my opinion. He sounds too much like a used car salesman if you take my meaning. Too much the shyster – he needs to hide this part of his character more, but that may be too much of a task for him. He also needs to try and talk in a lowing tone of voice and not be so much the seller and lecturer. Bush, for all his fumbling; I can stand to listen to; Kerry makes me cringed.

-Zeno

adios
08-14-2004, 01:54 AM
The way I view Kerry is that he's an easy target since he almost always seems to straddle the fence.