PDA

View Full Version : Two pair off a crappy BB - get away or no way out?

Azazoth
08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Don't remember the exact details, as this was a live 1-table tourny, but i'll try to get it as close as possible.

I'm on a stack of about T6000. Blinds are 150/300, with an average stack of probably 7000 or so, with 7 players left. I'm on the BB with Q8o, there are 5 limpers plus myself--SB has folded, so I'm first to act.

Flop:

K Q 8 (rainbow)

I bet T2000, and its folded to an almost rock-like player in MP on a short stack who goes all in for T3525. Its folded back to me, I call. He shows me KQo. The turn and river are unsuited rags (a 3 and 6, I think).

Now, obviously I knew going in I had an inferior starting hand, and had thus decided that it was two pair or bust. I hit my two pair and decided to try to push out JT, KJ, QT, AT, or other hands that might wish to call/see a free card, and maybe just take my pot right there. I was pretty sure nobody had a set, since the only likely set was Kings (unlikely for someone to have the case QQ or 88), and anyone with kings would have undoubtedly raised preflop. I therefore knew the only hand that could realistically be ahead of me was KQ, and that there were plenty of holdings that would call me (AK, AQ, etc.) only to be drawing slim.

Did I make any mistakes here, or was this sort of result unavoidable? Should I have checked the flop and risked the free card? Should I have laid down to an all-in from a super-tight player and saved some chips for the next hand?

(My crippled position forced me to all-in a few hands later with K5s, which ran into QQ)

jedi
08-13-2004, 12:25 PM
This sucks, but I don't see any way of getting away from this hand with the stacks the way they are. Tough break.