PDA

View Full Version : Count the mistakes

SossMan
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Live 3-6 game: typical loose passive, only one good opponent for the hero (I was one seat to his left )

Hero is UTG w/ KQo and raises.
I fold, one LP folder, everyone else calls (8 handed)

12 SB in the pot to the flop 6 handed.

Flop A K 5 rainbow
checked to UTG who bets, MP calls, LP calls, BB calls.

8 BB in pot, 4 players to the turn.
Turn: 8, putting a spade draw on the board
UTG checks (?), MP bets, LP folds, UTG calls

10 BB, heads up to the river:
River: 5 (non spade)
UTG check folds (?) and flashes me his cards.

how bad?

Victor
08-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Looks alright to me. With 8 players seeing the flop and ace is very very likely. Still, I would be inclined to call on the river as the pot is very big at this point.

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Preflop: OK.

Flop: OK

Turn: Bet. You have odds to draw so you need to call a bet. Since you have to play and a raise is unlikely, bet and avoid the free card with a possible best hand.

River: Check-call. Betting would be awkward if you got raised. This is negative fallout from the turn check-call.

After: Terrible. Show one, show all, and this is a very bad hand to show. You don't want people to know what you raised with or how weakly you played it.

SossMan
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: OK.

Flop: OK

Turn: Bet. You have odds to draw so you need to call a bet. Since you have to play and a raise is unlikely, bet and avoid the free card with a possible best hand.

River: Check-call. Betting would be awkward if you got raised. This is negative fallout from the turn check-call.

After: Terrible. Show one, show all, and this is a very bad hand to show. You don't want people to know what you raised with or how weakly you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are pretty much my thoughts on the hand.

W. Deranged
08-13-2004, 01:08 PM
I think we are being collectively to easy on this guy. I count three really major mistakes...

1. I think raising under the gun with KQo is just not a good play. His raise strikes me as kind of too LAG... this is clearly, though, the least bad mistake of any of them. With this play made, I think the flop bet is correct.

2. The check-call on the turn is not good. With 8 BBs in the pot and 5 outs (about a 10% chance to improve), playing this turn at all is somewhat questionable (I think that one of the three callers on the flop has to have an ace). There probably is a small chance the hero is ahead, and the implied odds may make it correct to play the turn. But, if the hero is going to play the turn, he really has to bet it. The course of play suggests he is not going to get raised. If he is beaten by an ace, it is very likely that the ace will wake up and bet the turn if the hero checks (which appears to be what happened). If he is ahead with his kings, the turn is much more likely to be checked through, and he is missing out on value bets. So, either way, a bet is correct.

3. The fold on the river is bad. The pot is pretty big by this point, and I think he is basically playing the odds that he had the best hand on the flop (the turn and river were both unlikely to improve him). So this is also a big mistake.

So I count 3.

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 01:31 PM
If this is the type of table where everyone calls two and reraises are rare, I don't see how the PFR can be bad.

It also helps that the table is only eight-handed.

SossMan
08-13-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is the type of table where everyone calls two

[/ QUOTE ]

check

[ QUOTE ]
reraises are rare

[/ QUOTE ]

check

W. Deranged
08-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay... so 2 1/2 mistakes.

Garland
08-13-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
only one good opponent for the hero (I was one seat to his left )

[/ QUOTE ]

Good = tight? Mistake #1. You should be one seat to his right.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG checks (?), MP bets, LP folds, UTG calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistake #2: If you were intending on calling one bet, I think you should bet it out yourself. You may still have the best hand, and you'd hate to let a free card beat you.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG check folds (?) and flashes me his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not too bad if you have a good read on your opponent, and he's the type not to bluff and show his cards afterwards.

Mistake #3??

I'm reading this over again. You didn't really show your card, did you?

Garland

SossMan
08-13-2004, 05:11 PM
you may be confused...I folded in this hand. UTG is a player to my right, and I don't know if he's any good or not...judging by the way he played the hand, I would say not very good. For some reason, he thought I was really good because I could shuffle chips, so he asked me if I would have played it the same. Not being in a chatty mood, I told him that he played it fine.
I knew there were mistakes, but I thought it was a common enough situation to post.

-sossman

Garland
08-13-2004, 05:24 PM
No,

StellarWind's reply made it seem to me that you flashed your cards after you folded. I assumed from your post that he flashed you his cards after you mucked.

If you flashed your folding cards, I'd say that would be a big mistake.

Garland

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
StellarWind's reply made it seem to me that you flashed your cards after you folded. I assumed from your post that he flashed you his cards after you mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is exactly what Hero did and I criticized Hero's play/behavior. However "Hero" is not the person who posted the hand. The poster is another player at the table who folded preflop and wanted opinions about the way Hero played this hand.

Hope that makes sense.

Garland
08-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes, thanks.

Garland

SossMan
08-13-2004, 06:14 PM
yeah, thanks...hence the line in the original post..."I folded".

for the record...guy to my right flashed my KQo as he folded.