PDA

View Full Version : Strange push?

Saborion
08-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2530)
Hero (t1540)
Button (t3930)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (t600) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t2230 (All-In)</font>
<font color="green">Do I call this? Why would he overbet the pot that much if he had a hand? If he has the nuts and I've been making weird calls, sure, but I haven't been out of line.</font>

Atropos
08-13-2004, 09:02 AM
This depends on the player too, I think. Some players push all-in because they exactly know that you will think "he wont overbet the pot so much...". Some bad players get that excited when getting the nuts that they also push. Or he got a J and wants to semi-bluff you. But I'm fairly sure you shouldnt call this.

Phill S
08-13-2004, 09:20 AM
id say he has something. however its not huge (no matter how fishy, he wouldnt push 3 way with a big hand (i believe anyway)). id put him on:
1, top pair, prolly with a better kicker than you
2, second pair and possibly the J
3, flush draw and pair or queens
3, flush and straight draw

overall you want to see number 2 if you call. i wouldnt call it however. top apir no kicker is trouble at the best of times, and murder at the worst.

however, the big proviso is do you think you can come back from 1200. if so id fold, if not take your chances. even if hes ahead, its never over till the wet one.

Phill

Saborion
08-13-2004, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no matter how fishy, he wouldnt push 3 way with a big hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he wouldn't, but I really don't care if he would or not since this was 2-way when he pushed.

durron597
08-13-2004, 01:28 PM
He almost certainly has a flush draw.

Gramps
08-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Flush draw/Jack with less than top pair. Call. SB is betting that way, b/c he knows if you don't have a Queen or a ten, you're probably not going to call, and he wins 600 chips. Even if you do call, he can still has a decent chance to outdraw you.

The fact that this is the 2nd place player you're in the pot with, makes calling even more attractive IMO. I'd probably call with 2nd pair here even. If you win this pot, you have about 3,000 and SB is down to about 1,000, giving you a great chance to get HU to play for the win.

If you fold this hand, you're going to be down to about 1,100 after paying the SB next hand. You may have to make some pushes with total, complete crap, so...this looks like a MUCH better spot to get your money in - especially against the 2nd place stack.

poboy
08-13-2004, 03:29 PM
He could have the KK or AA. He didn't raise before the flop because you would just fold the blind. Once the flop hit he decides he doesn't want to risk the straight or flush draw on the board, so he pushes. I'm probably completely wrong but it is a possibility.

Jason Strasser
08-13-2004, 03:48 PM
I make calls like this fairly routinely as a short stack. Often the worst case scenario is that you are racing your chips, as your opponent could have a variety of draws on this board.

IMO you don't have enough chips to pass up this opportunity. Taking a coinflip with 5xBB or less is really never going to be a bad thing when stacks look like this.

-Jason

Saborion
08-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Needless to say, I'm a total newbie when it comes to tours.

Although, I did find that push a bit out of place. As someone said, he could have AA/KK and taking a shot to win more than just the blinds. But that won't happen that often I believe. It felt more like an attempt to bully around with a semi-bluff. Me being a shortstack and having top pair, I decided to call, even though I'd hate to see another heart, a K or an 8 on the turn/river. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif)
River 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

My opponent flipped over 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif and my hand is good.

And for those that are interested, I continued on to come second in this sng. I suck at HU, more than at everything else that is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

patrick dicaprio
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
i think you have to call here, your chip position is bad, and he could easily have a T, a 9 or a draw.

Pat