PDA

View Full Version : 88 in BB - check raise turn?

Fiddler
08-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I had been folding until this hand but from what I had seen UTG+2 seemed to start with good hands and SB was very loose.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Ok, I didn't really stop to think here but about the turn, since it was UTG+2 that capped the flop and not me should I have gone for a check raise? Looking back it seems like a good idea... it would trap SB for two BB:s and give the same pot size even if they both folded to the raise.

Maybe I answered my own question... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Atropos
08-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I am not too sure about this. How often does this happen that a player caps the flop and then folds for a single bet?? The chance was there that he would reraise you, so you could 3bet.

kenewbie
08-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I would probably checkraise here for the reasons you just gave. Not sure if it is that much better than betting out, because you do loose two bets if it checks through - but most of the time you can expect the flop capper to bet and thus it should be slightly better EV

k

Fiddler
08-13-2004, 07:01 AM
I agree that the fold is strange if he had a high pocket pair. Maybe he had AK, AQ, AJ or KQ of hearts, put me on a set and when the board paired he was out of there?

luckydog
08-13-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm new here, trying to learn and this whole putting people on hands thing looks like magic. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your example to ask a question.
Is it possible that UTG+2 had two hearts and was hoping for a flush draw. His raise before the flop drove out a lot of players which I think is good (got to re-read the book) and then when the flop gave him two more he really jumped in. Your aggresion made him think and he capped. When he missed it on the turn and the second 2 came up he folded either because he was worried about the full house or because he didn't want to risk any more money when you bet.
Does this sound possible and is it good or bad on his part?

Luckydog

Transference
08-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Given your position I think a bet is just fine. Its possible that he overplayed something like AK. You don't want this checked through and theres a good chance he will raise for you and SB will come along for the ride.
I play it same.

Atropos
08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
@luckydog:
Yep you have to reread the book. If you have a suited hand,like 76s you dont raise to drive other players out. If you hit your flush//straight you dont mind if there are 7 players out there calling all the time. The reason you raise is to make the pot bigger, so that if you hit these people will stay up to the river because the pot is so big. You dont want to drive players out! Or would you like to play heads-up with 76s against AX?

mikeyKay
08-13-2004, 08:49 AM
given the action on the flop, and your position, i think betting out is the best play. i think you can expect a raise most of the time, in which case you 3-bet...and at this point the pot has gotten big enough and its time to keep firing bets in there as much as you can while you are the favorite.

-mike