PDA

View Full Version : short stack - push when dominated?

ethan
08-13-2004, 04:36 AM
I dropped down to the party 10+1 for practice multi-tabling. I'm still not quite up to speed keeping reads on 30 players at once, so reads are minimal. I haven't seen the button get particularly out of line, and the table's been playing pretty tight. (I started this SNG at the same time as two others and had time to place 3rd in one, win the other, and come back to this one with 7 people left.)

I'm short-stacked from an early hand where I had to lay down KK, so I'm at about 6xBB. I'm clearly looking for a hand to push, so when I get ATo in the SB I assume this is the place to do it. Then I see:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t2455)
UTG (t1390)
MP1 (t915)
MP2 (t425)
<font color="C00000">CO (t250)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button (t2240)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t325)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t50, CO calls t50, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero...</font>

now, I have 3 limpers and the button raise. I think it's a fairly safe assumption that some one of the 4 has me dominated, and they're going to call my push. (The button has me beat, I'm likely dominating or coinflipping the CO, no idea on the other two.) Would any of you consider folding, maybe stealing blinds the next couple hands, and hoping for a chance to get involved in a hand with fewer people? If not, then what if I was holding A9o/A8o? 55? 77?

<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t325 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t275, MP2 folds, CO calls t200 (All-In), Button calls t75.

Flop: (t1325) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 2 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t1915 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds.

Turn: (t3240) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: (t3240) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3240
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1100 (t1100), between CO, Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t1100).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t225 (t225), between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t225).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 3: t1915 (t1915), returned to Button.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Ac 2c (two pair, sixes and twos).
Button shows Ah Kd (one pair, sixes).
Hero shows Th As (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: Button wins t1915. Hero wins t1325.

I ended up finishing 3rd in this tournament</font>

AleoMagus
08-13-2004, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a fairly safe assumption that some one of the 4 has me dominated, and they're going to call my push... Hero raises to t325 (All-In),

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting reasoning. Probably a big underdog and expect a call, so push anyways.

I fold this without thinking

If you expect a call, you should have a better hand than AT, or be even more desperate than you are. The reason why you are looking for a hand to push has a lot to do with fold equity and you have none here. AT is not a reraising hand 7 handed unless you have a good read or are in more extreme circumstances.

Regards
Brad S

ethan
08-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Yea. Most of the thinking in the post happened after the hand, but I don't think it's results-oriented. I don't like my play in the hand.

chill888
08-13-2004, 06:45 AM
Almost certainly fold. Unless button is a known nut and the others are all limp folders - and dinner is ready.

Hood
08-13-2004, 08:38 AM
I concur with others, it's fold from me here every time. BB is 50, you're on the button, you've got a white yet till you have to make a desperate play like this.

Sidenote: you may get more interesting discussions if you don't post the hand results. I think it is particularly important with hands like this.

Atropos
08-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Yep I would nearly auto-fold this here too.

Toro
08-13-2004, 09:22 AM
The short stack can really make you stupid sometimes or at least make you make stupid plays.

I had a similar one to yours last night in a 2 table sng. Down to about 7 and I was in the SB and about the same short stacked situation you were in. The button raised 3XBB and I had KTo. I hate KT and try to avoid playing it in any situation but here I had predetermined that I was going to go with it.

I re-raised all in which didn't quite double the bet(so I knew he wasn't going to lay it down) and the button turned over KQ which didn't surprise me.

Stupid play which I blame on being short stacked but maybe I can learn and do better next time. At least I should have tried the stop and go which probably wouldn't have worked but at least some chance of success.

But the best play as others have pointed out is to fold and find a better spot.