PDA

View Full Version : How is older literature outdated?

Gone In 60s
08-13-2004, 01:09 AM
I am relatively new to poker and newer to these forums.
Before I read older books (ie Super System), I want to know what advice/theory has been revised or is no longer accepted as correct. I'm mostly looking to learn more about hold'em. What should I be aware of? Specific examples appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Gone In 60s

Moyer
08-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Well, for example, hold'em used to be played with only one blind, instead of a small blind & big blind that we now use. In super system, Bobby Balwin's strategy is written for playing w/ only one blind, which can make the game quite different in places.

The general concensus is that Brunson's No Limit section and Chip Reese's 7-Card Stud section are the only parts of SS that really apply to today's games (both of these sections are very good though).

If you're only interested in limit hold'em, you should probably buy a lot of other books before considering Super System.

deacsoft
08-13-2004, 02:11 PM
A modernized Super System 2 is on the way. You may want to consider waiting for that.

youtalkfunny
08-14-2004, 10:46 PM
How long have we been waiting for the new S/S now? Five years?

npc
08-17-2004, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Before I read older books (ie Super System), I want to know what advice/theory has been revised or is no longer accepted as correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a previous poster pointed out, sometimes the rules of the game change. Hold'em played with an ante and no blind will play differently than games with blinds. Playing high/low split with or without a qualifier will radically change proper strategy.

The other way a book may get outdated is that the way typical opponents might change. If I'm playing NL Hold'em against folks who never bluff, or folks that will always call to the end with top pair, I'd play very differently than I usually do.

Hope this helps.