PDA

View Full Version : Betting on an Overcard - Bet the river?

AlphaMeridian
08-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.50 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>

After looking at this in retrospect, I'm not sure. Bet the river?

-Alpha

skierdude1000
08-13-2004, 12:56 AM
I think you could've easily laid down AQ on that flop in a small headsup pot, or if you continue, I would suggest betting the river

Nottom
08-13-2004, 12:59 AM
He's not folding a pair and is unlikely to be calling with anything worse. No reason to bet.

In fact I probably go ahead and take my free turn card as well since it would suck to get checkraised.

AncientPC
08-13-2004, 03:45 AM
I would've folded to flop bet or try to bet out all the way to river.

Jimbobobb
08-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Gonna go with nottom on this one. If your raise on the flop was for a free card, it's great. Otherwise I see no point. You pick up another good draw on the turn, but your hand is still only potential. Take your free card.

Atropos
08-13-2004, 04:08 AM
You would fold the flop?? I think this is very weak-tight.
I would take the free card on the turn too, since most of the times they wont bet into you on the river without a pair, so you dont have to worry about a bluff.

kenewbie
08-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Any particular reason you're not taking the free turn you bought then folding the river to a bet if you dont improve?

k

Richard Berg
08-13-2004, 08:20 AM
No way can you lay down AQ every time a heads-up opponent bets into you once! Conversely once the expensive streets come with no help, you're looking to save bets, not make them.

SB's range of holdings is more than wide enough to justify the flop raise. I think this is automatic. However, that doesn't mean you can bet A-high for value profitably -- even if you think there's a solid chance it's best -- because a weaker hand probably won't call. Take the free card; the pot is small enough that if you have to fold the river, it's not a big deal. The decision is only really tough (i.e. read-dependent) if a Q comes.