PDA

View Full Version : Bubble hand

hummusx
08-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Is this hand too risky on the bubble? I'm playing this to win so it seems like a clear play to me. A friend of mine didn't agree...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">BB (t3610)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1900)</font>
Button (t1385)
SB (t1105)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t200,

Flop: (t900) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1800</font>, Hero calls t1100 (All-In).

Turn: (t4200) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4200) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4200
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3900 (t3900), between BB and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t300 (t300), returned to BB.</font>

AleoMagus
08-12-2004, 11:38 PM
No, JJ is not too risky a hand to play on the bubble, but it doesn't look to me like you played to win with it

I don't like the min raise. I'd have raised to 600 with this. Pushing is not what I'd probably do here but it's not a horrible option either.

This flop has a possible straight draw and a possible flush draw. Betting 1/2 the pot like you did is just asking to be drawn out on. I'd bet at least 800 here, and considering that you only have about 1700 left, I'd probably just push. If You had raised to 600 PF, this would be a clear push.

It wouldn't surprise me if he semi-bluff raised your weak flop bet with the four flush and hit it. 89 or QK would not be a big surprise either.

Regards
Brad S

UncleRemus
08-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd just push preflop. However, if I don't push preflop, I definitely push on the flop with the top set. Even if we're talking worst case scenario and he has KcQc, you're still about a 3:2 favorite.

adanthar
08-13-2004, 02:25 AM
Jacks are a huge hand, but you are up against the big stack in the BB who will probably call a small or medium raise with almost any two that look playable 4 handed. This is one of the few times where I'd just push rather than raise 3x or 4x.

Jason Strasser
08-13-2004, 04:10 AM
Push PF.

Tosh
08-13-2004, 05:40 AM
You played the hand badly, it should be a push preflop.

Cashcow
08-13-2004, 10:37 AM
I think it was a good play, you flop top set and figure your opponent for at best 2nd set, most probably the nut flush draw. Probably should have pushed after his check, instead of betting such a small amount and calling all in. You have the best hand, make him pay for his draw.

I just read the other posts. I think pushing preflop is a bad play, but as I said, pushing on the flop is a good move. JJ is not a monster hand, but it improved from a good hand to a really good hand on the flop. Sorry if he sucked out on you, but as the saying goes "That's no limit baby"

slogger
08-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Am I missing something? Is your friend crazy?

It looks to me like you've got the nuts when the money goes in, along with redraws to the beat all but one of the hands you fear your opponent may DRAW TO.

I assume your opponent hit his straight flush (or something like that) on the turn, but that doesn't change the fact that your money must go to the center on that flop.

FWIW, you didn't raise enough pre-flop. I would've pushed with this hand, hoping for either everyone to fold, or for some clown with a suited Kx to take a stand. But I subscribe to the Strassa school of bubble play, so perhaps there are different lines that may be profitable. At least make it 600 before the flop. Push on the flop (note that the flop push would have been more profitable had you raised more preflop and been called by the big stack).