PDA

View Full Version : Anyone smoke cigars?

Inthacup
08-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, this isn't directly poker related, but poker and cigars compliment each other quite well.

Just wanted to get a feel for how many of you smoked cigars. If so, what brands? Stuff like backwoods or swisher sweets don't count!

moondogg
08-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Hampton Courts, either Macanundo or H. Upman

Blunts hinder my ability to play poker

Ray Zee
08-12-2004, 08:25 PM
cigars and cancer of the mouth go together better than cigars and poker. lots of old friends died painful deaths from smoking cigars.

Inthacup
08-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Don't you have a bear to wrestle or somethin?

Sponger15SB
08-12-2004, 08:45 PM
i smoke cigars, mostly "Vintage" which is the king of Rite-Aide cigars.

most of my cigars cost between $2-3 a piece, however i'll venture into a $10 cigar every once and a while. although i'd say i only smoke 3 cigars a month.

08-12-2004, 08:55 PM
I enjoy a cigar 1-2 times a month, and when I do I smoke Cohiba Esplendidos.

Mayhap
08-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Reminds me of a true story from Groucho Marx when he had his TV show, 'you bet your life'. A new contestant comes on the show and when Groucho hears that he is a family man, he asks how many kids the contestant has. 'Twelve Groucho', replies the contestant. Groucho says, 'Well, I like my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.'

I like all perdomo products and the griffins. I know that they can become a devastatingly bad habit and an insidious health risk. I take pains not to smoke more than 4 or 5 a month. In the winter, I'll probably only catch one Sunday a month for 'a stroll'. I do love a good smoke.

/M

M2d
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Montecristo #2. Not the cuban ones. I can't afford those.

gonores
08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
There is a new (to the Midwest) line out right now called Bucaneros. I absolutely love them on top of a starchy meal with a microbrew and John Lee Hooker in the background.

JoeU
08-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I don't smoke them as much as I used to. My favorites include:

Arturo Fuente
Savinelli
Avo (especially #2)
Nat Sherman (anything not maduro)

I also keep a seperate humidor for my Cohiba Esplendidos. I got them in Jamaica a few years back. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Great to enjoy one every once in a while! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

Oski
08-12-2004, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of a true story from Groucho Marx when he had his TV show, 'you bet your life'. A new contestant comes on the show and when Groucho hears that he is a family man, he asks how many kids the contestant has. 'Twelve Groucho', replies the contestant. Groucho says, 'Well, I like my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.'

/M

[/ QUOTE ]

Good story; not likely true: You Bet Your Life (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/groucho.htm)

Mayhap
08-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Wow, the depth of info on the web is amazing.
TY,
/M

Rushmore
08-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I smoke 5-10 cigars a month. I keep a full humidor of La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5's (nice strong Maduro), and a few Romeo Y Julieta Maduro Reserves, for a smoother, tastier smoke every so often.

I smoked a pack of Newports a day for 10 years.

This is better in every way.

Andy B
08-13-2004, 02:40 AM
I like the occasional cigar, which may surprise Canterbury regulars who are acquainted with my vocal distaste for cigarette smoke. I usually smoke Macanudos. I have a friend, female, who smokes Backwoods, and I sometimes smoke them along with her. I actually kinda like 'em.

Moyer
08-13-2004, 03:15 AM
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What's wrong with Swisher's???

How else are you gonna get that six month old Natty Light to go down smooth?

Rick Nebiolo
08-13-2004, 03:53 AM
A great mail order cigar outlet is JR Cigar. Here (http://www.jrcigars.com/) is a link to their web site.

JR tends to have good prices on top brands and all sorts of specials, weird deals and closeouts. The print catalog is pretty funny, the owner is sort of a cool guy. I've ordered at least fifteen times from them and they have never screwed up.

I tend to experiment with different brands. Regarding sizes, most of my cigars are 50 ring gage and about 5 to 5.5 inches long (longer cigars take too much time). At JR you can get decent deals for about $2 or $3 per cigar for name brands. Punch is one of my favorites, but I'm still at the stage of trying different types. I recently purchased a box of Montecruz Negra Cubana and was very pleased.

Best place to smoke a cigar is at the beach, on the porch or by the pool IMO.

~ Rick

Rushmore
08-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Total agreement on JR. The catalogue's got a lot to choose from, and their own JR line is inexpensive and diverse and pretty good quality. Never a bad experience, product OR delivery.

Try these guys too--I think the selection might be a little better, and certainly they provide good quality as well:
http://www.blackcatcigars.com/

Al_Capone_Junior
08-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Lars tetons are my favorites.

Arturo fuente also makes a great maduro robusto and corona.

I had a genuine cuban cohiba once and it was fantastic of course.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
08-13-2004, 12:40 PM
if you smoke them every day, you are probably right.

I smoke one to three a month. I'll take my chances. You gotta live life, otherwise you're already dead.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
08-13-2004, 12:44 PM
An occasional backwoods (aka back-werds) smoke is kinda good.

al

Zeno
08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Ray is, as per usual, at least lately, overreacting. He needs to reread The Meditations and spend more time fishing.

I smoke cigars a few times a month and find it enjoyable. I have tried a variety of different brands and usually forget what I tried. Us 'Old Guys' don't remember things that well sometimes.

I think Ashton's are too sweet. I do like Punch and Romeo Y Julieta brands. I use to get Hoya de Nicaraguas and liked them also. I smoke what I enjoy and what is reasonably priced and available to me locally. But thanks to Rick for posting the cigar link. I may have to up my monthly dose of tobacco.

-Zeno

deacsoft
08-13-2004, 02:17 PM
I smoke Fuentes 858's but not while playing poker.

chrisdhal
08-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Agreed, those are pretty good in my limited experience. I probably have 1-3 of those a month myself.

bonanz
08-13-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep a full humidor of La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5's

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what I'm talking about!

La Gloria...can't beat em

bonanz

BigDoggie
08-13-2004, 05:08 PM
My favourite is a nice Cohiba, though I have tried over 100 different brands of cigar.

Jeffage
08-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I smoke a 2-3 cigars a month. All I have to say is...Olivaros Gold are FANTASTIC but tough to find. La Flor Dominicana is a second choice, also can be hard to find in some areas. Macanudo is an ok standby.

Jeff

Mayhap
08-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks for a really great post.
I got reminded of some great brands that I had forgotten about.
/M

snakehead
08-15-2004, 11:52 AM
while I sometimes go years without smoking cigars, I recently picked up some partagas solomons and d's. great smoke if you can find a dealer who has cubans.

other easily aquired cigars are montecristo double coronas and partagas naturales.

Inthacup
08-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Cuban Monte #2s are very reasonable when bought from the right source /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inthacup
08-15-2004, 08:50 PM
LGC Serie R's are always a solid smoke and reasonably priced too. Also one of the few lines that sport a freakin 60 ring gauge

Toro
08-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Don't know much about cigars but I like one occasionally. Picked up a brand in the cigar store called Avo Uvezian. Taste pretty good but I'm no connoisseur. Any body got an opinon on this brand.

P.S. One of my favorite scenes in a movie was in Papillion when the leper with a cigar wedged between his crusty fingers asked Steve Mcqueen if he likes cigars and a nervous McQueen answers "when I can get em" and the leper says "try mine". McQueen takes it and takes a couple of nervous puffs and the leper says "how did you know I had dry leprosy" and McQueen says "I didn't".

thomastem
08-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Great poll.

Bolivar is my choice brand.

Boylermaker
08-17-2004, 05:19 PM
4-5/year, nit while playing poker.

I like to try different brands, but my favorites include:

Cuaba Executivos - an awesome smoke!
Cohiba Siglo Series (Havana) (any of them)
Fuente Opus X No.2

Warior
08-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Normally Havanas with Partagas Shorts and Monte #4's as a staple. But I also have a bunch of Opus and Padrons that I smoke on the golf course.

Anyone else besides me think it sucks that playing poker in a smoking room someone can be blowing cig smoke in your face but your not allowed to have a cigar??

Derringer
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey! Neat topic. Yes, we like cigars. Here pics to prove it /images/graemlins/cool.gif dbl-clik on the images and they get bigger.
Cigars at Bellagio (http://photos.yahoo.com/catusas) The 2nd pic without the cigars, you can see how red my face is. Too many martinis!

I have anywhere from 0-5 per week. She occasionally will have one with me, which proves that wives are trainable when provided with the right leadership /images/graemlins/grin.gif

For Cuban cigars I like: [1] PSD4 [2] Cohiba Esplendido.

For non-Cuban I like: [1] Padron Anniversary 1964 [2] Onyx Reserve [3] Butera.

The wife likes the Buteras and the Onyx Reserves. She's a pretty good poker player too, but never sits at my table.

Cheers,

Mike

CollegePlayer
08-18-2004, 11:15 AM
.?

TimM
08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
For a hint, right click the avatar and choose properties.

Zele
08-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Since I was a kid, I've wanted to visit Colombia. Now I know why.

Filip
08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Montecristo Habanas, i am total cigar newbie but i kinda liked em. Except for the price that is, but wtf flair costs!

Derringer
08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Also the Padron x,000 series are a very good smoke for under $5.

Cheers,

Mike