PDA

View Full Version : pushing people off hands...

bicyclekick
08-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I keep reading how new players like NL over limit because they can push people off hands. Making money in poker is not about pushing people off hands. It's about getting your money in with the best of it and theirs with the worst of it. Even if they are correct in calling, you are still often making tons of money from them.

Why do you think a good player can CRUSH a low limit game? Like everyone else, they're not pushing people off hands either. They're just playing the proper strategy and getting constantly getting their money in with the best of it and letting odds straighten everything out in the big picture.

Talking about trying to get bad players to fold weak hands shows a complete lack of understanding of the game. Welcome their calls instead.

I also jsut heard this over and over again at a really juicy 15/30 canterbury game last night and it was kind of amusing.

/end rant.

Dynasty
08-12-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if they are correct in calling, you are still often making tons of money from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are correct to call, you will make more money in the long run if they fold.

devinthedude
08-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Yea, I dont get it either man. Why the hell do these guys want somebody to fold a worse hand?

I have a couple friends who say the same thing about pushing people off hands. One of these guys got a perfect score on his math SAT and his AP Calculus B/C exam.

Thats like saying "I would rather play my QQ against KK or AA than 72s. At least then we would be playing the right way."

Vollycat
08-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I guess when I think of pushing someone off, I think of me having a marginal/2nd best hand and getting them to fold. OR more importantly, having a pretty good hand and getting sucked out on, so you try to 'push someone off'. Am I thinking wrong in this?

I feel comfortable trying to push someone off a pot when I have QQ and they are holding Ax and then hit their A on the turn/river. From what I hear from you (and quite actually many others in this forum) should I continue to bet out and hope they call (instead of just taking a smaller pot with their fold) so I can get their money because the 'odds' are against them hitting that over card?

Thanks for the insight to this newbie!

bicyclekick
08-12-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they are correct to call, you will make more money in the long run if they fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but more often than not they are not correct. As the games become more and more loose they of course are more correct once they make the mistake of entering the pot pre-flop.

I'm talking about calls with crap like K3o on a board of j76. It is making you tons of money even though the guy cought a runner runner one card straight...he still made you tons of money.

CollegePlayer
08-12-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading how new players like NL over limit because they can push people off hands. Making money in poker is not about pushing people off hands. It's about getting your money in with the best of it and theirs with the worst of it. Even if they are correct in calling, you are still often making tons of money from them.

Why do you think a good player can CRUSH a low limit game? Like everyone else, they're not pushing people off hands either. They're just playing the proper strategy and getting constantly getting their money in with the best of it and letting odds straighten everything out in the big picture.

Talking about trying to get bad players to fold weak hands shows a complete lack of understanding of the game. Welcome their calls instead.

I also jsut heard this over and over again at a really juicy 15/30 canterbury game last night and it was kind of amusing.

/end rant.

[/ QUOTE ]
um...nevermind...

bicyclekick
08-12-2004, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/end rant.

[/ QUOTE ]
um...nevermind...

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? I just looked at the last 10 posts you've made and every single one of them has been utterly pointless.

Don't overload us with content or anything...

joker122
08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wtf? I just looked at the last 10 posts you've made and every single one of them has been utterly pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He's worthless.

CollegePlayer
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/end rant.

[/ QUOTE ]
um...nevermind...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't overload us with content or anything...

[/ QUOTE ]
NL players favor their game over limit because they can make players fold better hands, not worse hands. That doesnt make any sense.

Where did you read that?

CollegePlayer
08-12-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
U've got 1300 posts. wanna go heads up?

Agreed. He's worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

joker122
08-12-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

bicyclekick
08-12-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He's worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody said anything about post count = good player. You've just 62 posts of one liners, insults, and waving your prick.