PDA

View Full Version : Poker Tournament Rating System

Phaedrus
08-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback about a tournament rating system that I've developed.

The motivation for developing it was the difficulty a tournament player has in evaluating how they're doing -- since there is such enormous variance in results when playing tourneys with hundreds or thousands of players.

I'd like to get it "out there" and get some feedback, so I'm hoping this forum might be a good way.

The system provides a way for players to evaluate their performance and also allow for a way to rank the top players in the world in a less volatile way than is currently done.

The key features are:

- theoretically sound, based on a solid mathematical foundation, not just arbitrary assignment of points based on high place finishes

- non-additive, a player's rating doesn't improve just by playing more tournaments than someone else, it goes up and down with each tournament (similar to how chess ratings work)

- low variance, every tournament result is considered not just high place finishes so the sample size can be much smaller

- allows calculation of EV and chance of winning tournaments not just an arbitrary rating

Is there any interest in this sort of thing? I have a document describing it in detail at:

www.cyberstewart.com/poker (http://www.cyberstewart.com/poker)

It's a bit technical, but if there's interest I'll describe some of the key ideas here as well.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Deron

Phaedrus
08-13-2004, 12:34 PM
What do you think the chances are that a world-class player in a tournament will double up their initial stack at least once?

For example, when a world class player gets their 10,000 chips at the start of the WSOP final what is the chance that they will build their stack up to over 20,000, as opposed to going broke first?