PDA

View Full Version : EV UTG MTT etc.

PennDenn
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
I can figure out what most of these mean such as Under the Gun and Single Table Tounament. EV,T11K and alot of other abbreviations I cannot figure out. Can anyone either give me a list of their meanings of tell me where I can get one. It would really help me enjoy a lot of these postings.
By the way congrads (congratulations) to a lot of you guys. This is the best web site I have found.

1p0kerb0y
08-12-2004, 05:33 PM
EV = expected value - the amount you expect to make or lose given a specific play

T11K = 11,000 in tournament chips

any others?

PITTM
08-12-2004, 06:22 PM
worst joke of the year? probably.

rj

Richie Rich
08-12-2004, 06:54 PM
** SnG = Sit 'n Go (aka Single Table Tournament)
** MTT = Multi-Table Tournament
** T11K = 11,000 Tournament Chips (not real money)
** out of the money = dropping out of the tournament before those seats which pay out
** $50/5 = cost to enter tournament ($50 registration + $5 to the house = $55 total)

** EV = Expected Value. For instance, going all-in btf with 72o is a -EV move behind an EP raiser, whereas going all-in on the turn holding a straight while there are two suited cards on the board is a +EV move. Even though you may lose THAT particular hand, if you made either of these moves 100 times, are you likely to come out ahead or behind? That determines whether it's a +/- EV move.

** btf = before the flop
** UTG = under the gun; UTG+1 = player next to act after UTG
** CO = cutoff seat (aka seat before the button)
** SB/BB^ = Small Blind/Big Blind
** 5xBB = 5 times the big blind

^BB is also used as an abbreviation for big bet...in limit 2/4, $4 is one big bet.

** LAG = Loose, Aggressive Player
** TAG = Tight, Aggressive Player

Here are many more...
http://www.riveredagain.com/terms.htm

...along with a simple scenario.

After finishing out of the money in my third SnG (bleh), I decided to register for a $30/3 no rebuy MTT. Very first hand I got Sigfreid & Roy (pocket Qs) in EP and raised it up to 3xBB. Very LAG player in the SB, who I have played with many times before, min-raised me back. Knowing he was probably bluffing, I pushed, and he surprisingly called. Unlucky for me, he caught runner-runner for two pair and busted me out. Obviously pushing this hand against him was a +EV move, just aggrevating that it didn't hold up this time. But what can you expect...this is Party Poker! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif