PDA

View Full Version : Can't fold this hand? Maniacal LAG and tight-passive player

thwang99
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I can't relaly fold this hand, can I? What makes this hand noteworthy though is that the caller is one of the most passive players I know. He didn't raise QQ earlier, and jsut called it to the river! MrBCAwesome was playing like a LAG maniac. Raising ATo preflop, and hands like Q9s. Raising and betting 2nd pair on the flop and turn, etc. Basically he went from like $300 to $1000, then to $200 in 30 minutes or so.

So, I suspect he could have a Q, but maybe, quite possibly a weak ace. The caller inbetween I didn't like, but since he never raised/bet, I thought he might have an ace, weak kicker, but probably not a draw like KJo? Why was he calling?

So, the only situation I'm ahead here is if both players have Aces. Or if one of them has a draw. I think calling is fine. Both of my opponents here played horribly!

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(LAG-Maniac)</font> calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB <font color="purple">(Passive)</font> calls, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(LAG-Maniac)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Passive calls, LAG-Maniac calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Passive calls, <font color="CC3333">LAG-Maniac raises</font>, Hero calls, Passive calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Passive checks, <font color="CC3333">LAG-Maniac bets</font>, Hero calls, Passive calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between Hero, Passive and LAG-Maniac.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Passive (14.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad Ks (two pair, aces and queens).
Passive shows Ac Qh (full house, queens full of aces).
LAG-Maniac shows 7s Qc (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Passive wins 14.50 BB. </font>

thwang99
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Now that I think about it, would checkraising the flop be a better play? Yeah I think it would be. WAHHHHH. Oh well.

OrangeHeat
08-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I like to 3-bet this preflop most of the time.

Orange

Nightwish
08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Yeah, you misplayed it preflop and on the flop. You're in an ideal position to 3-bet preflop and hopefully get it heads up with the button. (But if the others decide to call, that's fine too.) Then, you should bet the flop.

However, since you didn't 3-bet preflop, you should check-raise the flop and charge gutshots, flush draws, etc. double.

The turn and river are fine.

thwang99
08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Out of position from the SB? I guess considering where the raise is coming from, getting it headsup is the better play preflop. Normally I don't 3-bet with AK AQ from the blinds unless maybe if the raise is a possible steal raise (open raised from LP).