PDA

View Full Version : C/r fold to the 3-bet?

BottlesOf
08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Here's another hand from the FW trip.

5/10 Kill

I open-raise 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. Folds around to CO who 3-bets. Blinds drop and I call.

The CO is passive. He plays too many hands, but he's rarely raising. I'd say he's better than average for the table of 10, but that doesn't say much, as after JoeTall, SFer and myself, few have a clue.

Flop (6.8 Sbs) T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets, I raise, he 3-bets. Laying 11.8:1, I fold right here.

What do you think?

Yeknom58
08-12-2004, 01:59 PM
why not just bet?

Fold seems reasonable.

arkady
08-12-2004, 02:06 PM
I suppose a passive fella wouldnt be doing this with a flush draw or AK/AQ - you are drawing to 2 outs, fold is correct.

sublime
08-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Laying 11.8:1, I fold right here

This would be a spot where a loose call would be "ok" I would think.

sfer
08-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that woman you loved coldcalled and was trapped in between you two guys. That's why the checkraise made sense to me on the flop.

Garland
08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check, he bets, I raise, he 3-bets. Laying 11.8:1, I fold right here.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to lead and call a raise, then check-fold the turn unimproved. With that flop you aren't fooling anyone with your check-raise. For the same 2 bets you get to see the turn. Who knows? You might be rewarded with the ability to continue to the river if you turn an 8.

Garland

BottlesOf
08-12-2004, 04:32 PM
SFer, you are right. Things make more sense now.

REVISED ACTION:

I open-raise 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP. MP calls, folds to CO who 3-bets. Blinds drop and we call.

The CO is passive. He plays too many hands, but he's rarely raising. I'd say he's better than average for the table of 10, but that doesn't say much, as after JoeTall, SFer and myself, few have a clue.

Flop (9.8 sbs): T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, MP checks CO bets, I raise, MP drops, CO3-bets. Laying 14.6:1, I fold right here.

Now what do you think?

sublime
08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Now what do you think?

I still think you can make a loose call here.

Garland
08-12-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check, MP checks CO bets, I raise, MP drops, CO3-bets. Laying 14.6:1, I fold right here.

Now what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see. Three to the flop for 3 bets each + SB and BB who have dropped = 9+0.6+1 = 10.6. Check to CO who bets +1, you checkraise +2, MP drops, CO 3-bets + 2. I think it's 15.6:1.

Now with the backdoor straight+set+implied odds, you have to call the 3-bet for those odds.

And the flop check-raise makes more sense now.

Garland

sublime
08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Now with the backdoor straight+set+implied odds, you have to call the 3-bet for those odds.

Nevermind the slight chance hero could be ahead.

BottlesOf
08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
You are neglecting the price to play. Rake is now maxed out (or $1 in the pot away from being maxed out, which it surely will be) The SB is 2/5 not 3/5 an sb.

However, If you insist on 14.8, so be it, since that is technically what it is at the time, so be it. I feel 14.6 is more accurate.

sublime
08-12-2004, 04:57 PM
However, If you insist on 14.8, so be it, since that is technically what it is at the time, so be it. I feel 14.6 is more accurate.

JBB-

I have been playing in those games for a couple of months now, and have seen some weird ass overcard play. I think you should call this 3-bet.

Garland
08-12-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are neglecting the price to play. Rake is now maxed out (or $1 in the pot away from being maxed out, which it surely will be) The SB is 2/5 not 3/5 an sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still call...for aforementioned reasons /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Garland

Yeknom58
08-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Now the CR makes more sense.

Now that the pot is bigger..I'm thinking you can call the CR.

Joe Tall
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
You finally post this and f-up the action. Nice.

You were getting 15:1 or close to it and you forgot to add my quote, "Whatever you just did, it was wrong", when you folded.

Peace,
Joe Tall

sfer
08-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Since we're adding quotes, you should point out that the preflop action went JBB raises, coldcall, CO asks, "Who raised? Oh, him," and 3-bet.

BottlesOf
08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I thought that might taint people's advice, if YOU said my play was outright wrong. (A fact I'm still not 100% convinced of)

Joe Tall
08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
A fact I'm still not 100% convinced of

Getting 15:1, after c/r-ing and then folding for one more bet is...um, how do I put this...

http://www.wrong-online.com/napis.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

StellarWind
08-13-2004, 04:02 PM
You checkraise at extra cost for the explicit purpose of knocking out MP and then fold for one bet after you get your wish. Totally inconsistent. Why are you investing so heavily in protecting a hand you think is unlikely to be good unless you hit a set?

You are getting about 15:1 plus implied odds to draw to a set and backdoor straight draw. That's adequate odds to call.

You neglected the very important practical point that this type of passive opponent will give you a free card quite often on the turn, especially if they were betting an unmade hand. Then you can take another shot at your set and possibly call the river when you don't improve.

sfer's observation about the table action is also interesting. If your opponent has decided that you're a wiseguy you may not be getting standard treatment. His remark may be a wake-up call that he has started thinking about you. Maybe he thinks you are a LAG or vulnerable to being bluffed. Those who actually were at the table can judge this better.