PDA

View Full Version : Flunking the "A-Q Test"

07-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I have probably only cold called twice with A Q since the Feeney book came out. His essay and arguments made that much sense to me. Seems we had a real good discussion on the topic here about a year or so ago.

Anyway---I'm in a 10-20 game with a loose but very aggressive player right in front of me. We had the A Q discussion once before and he thinks it is WAY too tight to ever fold it.

I pick up the AQo in middle position, my buddy calls, and I put the 4 chips into the pot---raising quietly. Two other late position people call before I realize that my buddy had raised quietly and I had only called quietly. OK, OK---I'm playing a little tired here and not paying perfect attention

Flop came T T 3 and it was checked around.

Turn was a Q. Buddy checks, I bet, the other players fold and he checkraises. Whats he got to beat me? He wouldnt play AA or KK like that. An AT is possible. What else?--I'm still a little tired. I called.

River was a complete blank. He bets, I call, and he shows KQ.

My AQ gets him real agitated. "You NEVER call a raise with AQ!" "Thats the one hand I KNEW you didn't have!"

Anyway----it paid for my Feeney book 3 times over.

07-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Since reading the essay and giving the ideas some thought, I haven't cold-called with AQo. However, against certain players, I don't hesitate to 3-bet with it.

07-01-2002, 11:27 PM
You didn't flunk the test, you just thought it was a different test. You made a mistake, oh well. Priceless the guy got mad telling you that you couldn't have that hand. LOL.

07-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Do you cold call with AQs? Cause I do (or 3 bet), I'd assume many other winning players don't not play it against a raise.