PDA

View Full Version : QQ early position

willie24
08-12-2004, 12:06 PM
game is 3/6 at AP. 8 players.

willie is in early postion (UTG2) with QQ.
UTG folds
Willie raises.
1 fold.
MP2 calls.
1 fold.
button reraises.
sb folds
bb folds
willie caps
mp2 calls
button calls.

flop: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

willie bets
mp2 calls
button raises
willie reraises
mp2 folds
button caps.
willie calls.

turn: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

willie bets
button raises
willie reraises
button caps
willie calls.

river: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

willie bets
button calls.

comments please

zram21
08-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Nice hand.

Chuckles1248
08-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Seems pretty standard to me. If the Q hadn't fallen on the turn, I would say you should go into calldown mode, as it's likely you're up against AA or KK, with all the raising preflop and on the ragged flop.

Surfbullet
08-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Looks fine to me. Definitely slow down if you don't hit the Q on the turn.

Surf

nepenthe
08-12-2004, 12:45 PM
I expect to see opponent with AA, with the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

willie24
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
After the button raised the flop I thought he was likely to have AA. I reraised to in an attempt to get MP2 to fold, planning to call down the rest of the way. When the turn was capped, suspicion of AA was reinforced. When the river was just called, I was almost positive button had AA.

Button flipped over AK hearts and took pot.
No river raise (?!) as good as handing me $12

Chuckles1248
08-12-2004, 01:23 PM
I love when people forget to raise with the absolute nuts on the river.

StellarWind
08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
You played the hand well, but your comments deserve discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
I reraised to in an attempt to get MP2 to fold, planning to call down the rest of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to force MP2 to fold? Assume that MP2 has a hand that he might fold in a large pot, i.e. not sandbagging a set and not drawing to a flush, straight, or paired board card. What has he got? Two outs for a pocket pair? Three outs for an ace or king? Backdoors? Nothing at all?

Besides you think you are behind in which case his draws don't matter at all. Spike a queen and you don't need to worry about MP2. Otherwise who cares about his outs?

When you are ahead it is extremely likely that an ace or king is the end of you anyway because that's what Button will usually have. Killing a 3-out overcard draw is pointless if Button has the same overcard. You can only lose the pot once.

People who are drawing dead or extremely thin are welcome to keep putting money in my pots.

I 3-bet the flop because I think my overpair has a very good chance of being the best hand. I hope MP2 has a junk draw and I hope he calls with it.

[ QUOTE ]
No river raise (?!) as good as handing me $12

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice of him to call with the nuts, but this should only cost him $6 because you should not reraise the river. A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif and A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif capping the flop for a free card are perfectly possible hands for him. Given his extremely strong play it sure looks like he might have them. You no longer have the 2-1 odds needed to make it 3 bets and risk getting capped by the nuts. Which would be $18, BTW.

willie24
08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Let me rephrase- i reraise to improve my expected winnings on this hand. I think button is about 45% to have me beat and i would love to get heads up with him considering pot size.
I think mp2 is behind me and if he is going to stay i want him to pay 2 bets. i think it is very likely that mp2 has something like ak or aj, and i think it very likely that button has pockets 99 or higher. if i eliminate the A i am doing better against a guy who has tt or jj and i think that makes it worth eliminating ak- even at the risk that button has AA and mp2 is drawing to nothing with ak. Im not going to fold, and capping the flop is very inexpensive. The possibility that either of them is drawing to a flush- (i would assume this is more likely for mp2) makes this a definite reraise for me. maybe "getting mp2 out" is a very condensed and somewhate inaccurate description of what the reraise accomplishes- but i think most of you know what i was getting at.

correct. $18. when i said $12 i was mistakenly thinking the game was 2/4. I agree that ak hearts is a very possible hand, but I would be very suprised if this player reraised pf with AJ hearts. I think it is a borderline decision- but you are probably right- i am not 2-1 to win if he raises river. (although i think it is close)