PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 HAND....................

hbgolfpro
08-12-2004, 09:27 AM
15-30......UTG+1 opens...folded to me in MP with QQ....I raise......CO calls cold......as does button. Blinds fold.....UTG+1 calls. Flop is K52...rainbow. UTG+1 checks.....I bet....CO and button call.....UTG+1 check raises. Now heres the problem. This is a WILD and LOOSE game. UTG+1 will play ANY hand.....and will check raise with A2 offsuit here...believe me. So I have a decision....play weak poker and fold believing I have 2 outs......or 3 bet and be aggressive to get it heads up. I choose to 3 bet and thank goodness CO and button do fold. UTG+1 calls. The turn and river are blanks and UTG+1 check-calls me all the way. Naturally he turns over K9 offsuit. So please tell me.....am I too aggresive? Is this a leak in my game?

stoxtrader
08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
checkaraising a field of 4 is generally not a bluff. That said, you seemed to have a solid read on the raisor and did isolate him. I vote for a fold here though because if he doesn't have a king, one of the two callers left to act behind you probably does.

glen
08-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Having played the way he did given his read, checking behind on the river is in order as well. . .

Tosh
08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Why ? If his opponent is likely to be calling without a king then you can surely bet the river again for value.

steveyz
08-12-2004, 10:45 AM
You went with your read. If this opponent will consistently check-raise with 4 people in the pot, with middle or bottom pair, than your 3-bet is definitely correct. In fact, it may be a good thing and force a weak king to fold behind you. Just remember that because this guy has check raised with bottom/middle pair before, doesn't mean that everytime he checkraises, he doesn't have the goods. It's all about percentages. If he will make this play even 25-30% of the time, pot odds dictate that you should 3-bet this flop, bet the turn, and check through the river. If he makes this play 50%+ of the time with weaker hands, then you should bet the river. Even loose aggros have it sometimes, just not often enough to warrent a field.
Against an unknown, I'd just fold here. If I had the read that you had, I'd do the same thing that you did. If anything, your read might be off, but you did the correct thing given your read.

glen
08-12-2004, 11:24 AM
His read wasn't based on the fact that he didn't have a king, but the prossibility that he didn't have a king. Three-betting someone who has checkraised the field demonstrates a lot of stength, and some who is as strong as KQ or KJ would checkcall the rest of the way. Also a lot of people will feel that they need to improve if they have a hand like A2 and will not pay off anyways. I make this play a lot headsup and 3 or 4 handed, and there I am more inclined to value bet the river, since people's cr'ing standards go way down, as well as the implications of the flop 3 bet, but in a full game I think checking behind here is almost always the right thing to do. . .

pistol78
08-12-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why ? If his opponent is likely to be calling without a king then you can surely bet the river again for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think a river bet would have been for value. Not in this situation. The man is a LAG but i think he is only calling a river bet here with a K

Garland
08-12-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and will check raise with A2 offsuit here

[/ QUOTE ]

If your read on UTG+1 is he will check-raise any 2nd or 3rd pair, then you basically have to 3-bet and then bet the turn. But by the river, I would check behind as if he called the turn, it's most likely he has top pair and isn't likely to call 2nd or 3rd pair unimproved.

Garland

mplspoker
08-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't like this play, although i realize that QQ is difficult to get away from, especially against a nut. Problem is he wasn't the only person who has the potential to beat you. How would have you felt if when you 3 bet the flop if the CO and button also called your three bet???? Completely pissing your money away in my opinion. in that position they will never throw away a king or a set, so the only things they are calling you with is things that have you beat...

Tosh
08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Sure he will if he is really that loose. A LAG probably keeps firing with a king.