PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a straight, missed any bets?

SkittleBrau
08-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Fairly passive table, button is somewhat weak-tight and CO is a calling station. SB is kind of random, but mostly bad. Did I miss any bets here?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

purnell
08-12-2004, 02:40 AM
It ocurred to me to raise on the flop here, since your straight is vulnerable, and you might be able to eliminate a king (but definitely not a queen).

Given your flop play, I think you need to raise on the turn for sure. You need to make your opponents pay for their draws when there is only one card to come. The river played itself here. It would depend on how my opponents reacted to my turn play whether to raise or call if SB bets out again on the end.

chio
08-12-2004, 09:16 AM
raise the flop!

this is exactly the type of scenario schneids was talking about, draws will pay 2 cold anyway, and many many worse hands will play back at you here, and no one will put you on a straight

ctv1116
08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Yes, you must raise the flop or the turn, its really your choice, but you should not wait for the river to raise. SB was clearly betting a Queen (after the river check), and your flopped straight was extremely vulnerable. You can either A) raise the flop to make the Queens pay double and any other non-straight draws fold or B) raise the turn to make it even more expensive. If your table is loose- passive and has no concept of pot odds, I'd go for raising the turn, since your edge on the turn is so much greater.

SkittleBrau
08-12-2004, 10:40 AM
What if I "knew" the raise would knock out everyone but the SB? Would it still be correct? I thought about raising on the flop to protect my hand here, but based on their previous play I figured the others would come all the way with any pair, assuming they didn't have to call two cold. I guess by growing the pot I'm giving a Q better odds on his draw...

chio
08-12-2004, 11:16 AM
if you "knew" they'd fold to a flop raise, they probably weren't going to call 1 bet either

i think the important point is, on this board, anything they're willing to call 1 with (any pair, any gutshot, even overcards) they'll probably call 2 with. plus your hand isn't exactly invulnerable. plus no one will give you credit for a straight with a simple flop raise.