PDA

View Full Version : KJo on the button with fishy river raise

brichr
08-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Is the 3-bet on the river correct?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Nottom
08-12-2004, 02:11 AM
I like it.

TheCoronaKid
08-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Good play, I think you take this hand as he probably made a lower two pair, something like K/8 or J/8. Unless he is one of those people who don't lay down pp and he made a set on the river.

toby
08-12-2004, 02:25 AM
I like the river play...when he caps there, you may lose to a set but I'd say a lower two-pair is just as likely.

SpaceAce
08-12-2004, 02:28 AM
The cap doesn't bode well for you but I like your play on the river. The sudden river blank raise is two pair more often than anything else in my experience (at micro-limits, anyway). Sometimes he rivered a set, sometimes he slow-played a monster but most times you're in the lead.

SpaceAce

Brian
08-12-2004, 05:32 AM
I hope these micro-limits guys don't move up to my games any time soon. I've seen tons of threads recently with people raising KJo and A9s and etc. on the Button, and it's quite scary.

Well-played.

-Brian

crockett
08-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Pre-Flop: I don't raise KJo out of position....actually now that I think about it, I don't ever raise KJo.

River: Recently, I've been thinking this is a 50/50 shot but I've been seeing results that I think are skewwed.

I agree with the above posters, lower two pair is probably the most likely scenario so your play was correct.

It just seems like I've seen a lot of callers hold their pocket pair all the way and then hit a set on the river.

My guess....He turned over 88...but hopefully you conquered and maybe even taught him a lesson.

Nottom
08-12-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-Flop: I don't raise KJo out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess its a good thing he was on the button

[ QUOTE ]
....actually now that I think about it, I don't ever raise KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's unfortunate.

crockett
08-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Accck...So I proved I can't read, thought it said BB.

So....when do you raise with KJo. Actually, I did think of one case when I do raise with it. If it is folded around to the Button or CO and they raise, I will reraise with it (from SB) if I feel they are trying to steal the pot. At micro-limits this situation doesn't come up often on a ten handed table. They all gotta see that flop..:)

Everything I have read says this is not a raising hand....your suggestions? Just trying to learn something....

Nottom
08-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I usually open raise from about 3 off the button on in, and will raise a weak limper or 2 from the same spots.

brichr
08-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Go figure. Villain shows 66.

So:

1) He gets a little note about his play (which he did again later in the session)....It worked, but not on me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2) I re-check the betting and see that he has actually made more money off of me than if he would have just bet it strong. Lets say he just calls my bet pf. He c/r flop, I 3-bet (not sure I would...just worst case), he caps, I call. This is + 3SB(1.5BB) vs. the way it happened. At this point let's assume check call mode the rest of the way. No change on the turn. The river is the big one -3BB if he bets strong on the flop. So if he would had bet strong, he would have not made an extra 1.5BB. I think this is right. If another K or J comes off he's screwed so is there any reason to play this way? /images/graemlins/confused.gif