PDA

View Full Version : AA with callers - good flop, now what?

Gramps
08-12-2004, 12:57 AM
$100+9 SNG on Party.

I'm still indecisive in spots like the one below. Part of me just wants to fire out a decent-sized bet here (not f- around with good sized pot late in the tourney), part of me wants to mini-bet to try and get a call or two/get played back at, and part of me wants to go for a C/R (thinking no one else has an Ace an that's the only way I'm going to get any chips postflop on this one), risking the free card.

Any suggestions on how to play this flop (assuming no reads) and why?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed)

Button (t1380)
SB (t525)
Hero (t1030)
UTG (t860)
UTG+1 (t2305)
MP1 (t1195)
MP2 (t770)
CO (t1935)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t100</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, UTG calls t175, UTG+1 calls t125.

Flop: (t700) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

ZeeJustin
08-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Your preflop reraises is way too small. As for the flop, this is not a good flop, you are almost ensured that you will not get action. I will often check this flop, and encourage someone to bluff all-in against me on the turn.

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Raise this to either 300, or go all-in. You simply min raised a min raise. This isn't limit, and you are telegraphing your hand (how many other hands would you make this type of reraise with?).

I disagree with ZJ that this flop is bad. I actually don't mind top set at all /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Because you didn't make a good enough raise PF, I'd be more inclined to slow down and try to enduce a bluff. But most of the time I'd play this flop very strong. If you had raised to 300 and gotten a caller or two, I'd probably get it all in on the flop.

Gramps
08-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about the amount of the PF reraise on this one too. Is there some general guideline people go by here that I'm missing?

My impression is that, to the average Party player, any reraise in this spot (given my stack size) screams KK/AA (or maybe QQ). I'm willing to risk a flop in order to get more chips in the pot...but I don't want to raise it up strong and get it folded around. UTG's mini-raise of a limper isn't making me very confident that he's calling a big reraise...but seeing that they both called the raise to 225, it looks like I could have gotten more out of them here.

stupidsucker
08-12-2004, 02:35 AM
Im not so sure. I agree that you should have made the preflop bet at least 300. You got 2 callers of 225 instead, which is more then you would have gotten if you raised to 400 and got one caller.

I dont take many chances here, I dont know the chances of a flush draw made coupled with filling up are. I push on this flop and hope for a call. This early in the tourney Im not going to slowplay it. I push this flop against 2 players for sure.

Phill S
08-12-2004, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not so sure. I agree that you should have made the preflop bet at least 300. You got 2 callers of 225 instead, which is more then you would have gotten if you raised to 400 and got one caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. i always bet a large chunk on these big hands. id rather pick up the blinds than get 3 or 4 way. in a hand

[ QUOTE ]
I dont take many chances here, I dont know the chances of a flush draw made coupled with filling up are. I push on this flop and hope for a call. This early in the tourney Im not going to slowplay it. I push this flop against 2 players for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

firstly. against one guy with one flush draw, no straight etc you around 66% fave.

however, id also push. you dont have much danger, but just take the pot. the flush could come on the turn, and slow play is clearly wrong.

Phill

MikeGuz
08-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Hell you are ahead here for sure but with the flush and str8 possibilities here I want to make them pay to draw. I don't go all in but want to induce action. I might bet $200 or so here you know how internet jockies love to put them all in on a draw. You might get lucky and find an under set. Good position to be in. I must say if the flush draw is not there I don't want to bet here.

Jason Strasser
08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Generally if the raise is to X. And I have more than 10X, I raise to 3X. If I dont have 10X, I go all-in... This is generally. If a person has called the PF raise, you need to adjust. Perhaps raise to 4X or 3.5X.

-Jason

Tosh
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Agree with ZJ, Strassa etc, your preflop reraise is far too small.

Chuckles1248
08-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Betting T200 into a pot that's T675 is waaaay underbetting. If you want to push flush / straight draws out, you have to make it so that they aren't getting correct pot odds to call. If they have to put in 200 to win 875, they ARE getting those odds.

Push and hope for callers.

MikeGuz
08-12-2004, 07:52 PM
You want to induce a bluff - there is no wrong way to play this except not to bet at all. Pot size is a lot less important in a NLHE event cuz of the implied odds.

You want to lay off Sklansky in NL anyway.