PDA

View Full Version : An interesting heads up hand

Alexthegreat
08-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Live 4-8 hand. Table had recently gone 6-handed, I didn't have a read on anyone.....

Alexthegreat was UTG+2, dealt Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG fold, Alexthegreat raises, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls

FLOP

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks,Alexthegreat bets out, Button calls, BB folds

Turn

2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Alexthegreat bets, Button raises, Alexthegreat Calls

River

2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Alexthegreat checks, Button bets, Alexthegreat calls

I am mostly interested in what you guys think of my turn play....It seemed rather fishy of him to have the flush, and more likely that he was raising due to a scare card....Should I make it 3 bets here? is folding top pair here a weak play?...Calling down sure didn't feel like the right play

ARodOSU
08-12-2004, 10:20 AM
It's doubtful he has the flush (although a possibility you have to consider) but more likely he has top pair-better kicker or higher PP and was waiting for the turn to raise you. In this situation I would probably do the same that you did and just call to the river, many dumb players in low-limits try to bluff in these types of situations.

sfer
08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
This is pretty routine and should be played the same like 99% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Live 4-8 hand. Table had recently gone 6-handed, I didn't have a read on anyone.....

[/ QUOTE ]

This should concern you a lot. You should have some idea of the button's capacity to bluff a flush and follow through on the river, as well as the range of hands with which he will coldcall a raise. I don't know how long you've been at this table but I usually feel like I've generally categorized the entire table within an orbit or two.

Alexthegreat
08-12-2004, 01:34 PM
The button had only been at the table for 5 or 6 hands, and he had played every one, so my gut instinct was that he was a fairly loose player

Garland
08-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Calling down seems right...unless another heart fell on the river that is.

If he has the flush, tip your hat and say "nice hand". If he's semi-bluffing the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif or some middle pair, you'll collect more here.

The only benefit to 3-betting here is to drive out a naked bluff, which you don't want to do.

The thing is, you don't want to 3-bet and be forced to fold to a 4-bet without seeing the river.

Garland

Alexthegreat
08-12-2004, 07:31 PM
That's a good point....thanks