PDA

View Full Version : More playing bad

Vehn
08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
30/60 loose aggressive game as usual. For some reason I get the brilliant idea to limp UTG with two aces. Naturally, the LAG guy to my left limps, 2 more players limp, very tight kid in the small blind calls for a chip and the terrible loose passive big blind checks. 6 see a flop of 8 7 5 rainbow. SB leads out, BB calls as usual, I call for some reason, EP to my left raises. 2 late players fold and now the SB 3 bets. BB calls two cold as usual. At the time I thought I was about 95% sure I'm behind the SB. Now what?

sweetzer
08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
I hate limping AA like this because of just these situations. But once its done, raise on the flop and then cap if given the chance. Hopefully you'll make aces up while preventing someone from completing a straight.

Kevin J
08-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Having played it the way he did, I think it's best to fold here. It's not enough for AA to be best on the flop, it has to also *finish* best enough times. As a rule, the more bets and raises which go in now, the less chance AA has at the river. IMO-

Btw- I actually like the *just call* on the flop with the intention of raising say, a Q on the turn. *Just calling* also prevents him from getting trapped in just this situation.

Kevin J
08-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I see nothing wrong with limping in with AA once in a while.

Did you get trapped silly and lose a ton of bets to a str8? Did you get trapped only to suck out on two pair or a set?

I'm guessing you folded the flop in which case, I'd say it's more "playing good".

sam h
08-12-2004, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold I guess if you are that sure you're behind. You're not going to be able to play the hand well anyway since you won't know where you're at even if the board pairs.

I think this is exactly the wrong spot to wait and raise the turn. The pot's pretty small so you can still put some pressure on with a flop raise. Maybe more important, you know you have somebody serious to tangle with in the SB and a LAG and two other players behind you. Calling is a recipe for putting yourself right in the middle, where you don't want to be.

Schneids
08-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Why you would ever choose to open limp UTG with AA in that game is beyond me. The solid players will recognize it for what it is, and when you limp the LAGs will limp behind; versus when you raise they'll 3-bet because they have gamb0l in them and they want to build a big pot.

At least, that is the dynamic I've noticed with more than a couple of them, such as Krazy.

Tough decision on the hand. I probably call and see what comes on the turn but I'm sure after the fact I'll be kicking myself about it...Something about hoping SB is pushing 76 or a hand of that sort makes me want to call.

Garland
08-12-2004, 02:15 AM
You wanted action with your AA, here it is. You're getting 15:2 on a call when your brain is telling you it's 19:1 you're behind SB alone. Don't you think it's time for a fold?

Garland

Vehn
08-12-2004, 02:23 AM
That would be good way of looking at it if it weren't for the whole "outs" thing.

potato
08-12-2004, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That would be good way of looking at it if it weren't for the whole "outs" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know what they are. Honestly, even if you catch an ace on the turn, part of you is going to be chanting "pair the board!"

JasonP530
08-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Fold. If you are behind, you do not have a very good chance of having the best hand at the end. Despite what others say, it is fine to limp with aces, but I hate when everyone limps behind. The trick is, as it is in NL, dont lose a ton of bets with aces when the flop is bad. You have invested little up until the flop, no need to go crazy if you get outflopped. I am sure if the flop came QJ9 or some such flop, you would have folded there. Same flop, just a few notches lower.