PDA

View Full Version : How best to maximize profit? KQs in cutoff.

DrNick
08-11-2004, 11:28 PM
"Hi efferbody"

Another post for you guys to ignore... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A hand that has stuck in my head from my last session. Online small-stakes game.

Preflop: I have K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the cutoff. Two limpers in early and middle position, I raise. Both blinds call, as do the limpers. 10 small bets.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Checked to me ...

Question 1: This flop is fairly benign. Apart from potential two outers and backdoor draws, I am fairly likely to remain in the lead. Do I check it here to allow people to catch a little more, or do I bet and hope somebody has the other king or something fairly strong to play back against me?

... at any rate, at the table, I opted for the bet. All but the middle position limper fold. Middle position is a decent player who can lay down a hand he thinks is beat.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

We both check.

Comments?

River action and results to follow.

Cheers,
DrNick

P.S. I wish I had discovered online poker earlier. Over my last 15,000 hands, I've been averaging 5.1 BB/100 hands. It sure beats the hell out of the 30 hands per hour, smoke-filled, local cardroom.

flopmonster
08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
I think I'd bet the turn, anything that he would call on the flop with probably call with on the turn. The advantage of checking on the turn is he may bet into you on the river giving you the chance to raise, but that still earns you the same 2 BB.

stoxtrader
08-12-2004, 12:46 AM
I think the flop bet is fine - people are more likely to take one off on the flop, and you don't give pairs infinite odds. just cause most folded, doesnt mean its the wrong play, they are more likely to fold on a turn bet anyways.

I think you should bet the turn - your opponent with his pocket pair may like that 3rd king and c/r. In any event, i wouldnt worry about this situation much, how often do you get quads? I am in the camp however that believes you gotta go for a shot at 3-4 bets on turn and river...guy could be aggro with a good pair..

Nottom
08-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Bet the turn, if he called the flop he will likely call here. He might even raise with a pocket pair.

Bob T.
08-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Two limpers in early and middle position, I raise.

To answer your question, this is how you maximize profit with KQ suited in the CO. Your decision to raise here, made you two big bets in a pot you eventually won.

It should have also made the pot big enough that your opponents with any piece of it should be willing to call a flop bet.

I would have bet the turn, your opponent might call, and letting him have one round for free might have cost you one big bet.

If you bet all the time when you do have it, it also makes it less likely that you will be called if you are semibluffing.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

DrNick
08-12-2004, 08:26 AM
The river brought the 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

The turn check did prompt my opponent to bet into me on the river, and to call my subsequent raise. He shows 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and my hand is good.

I made as much as I would have betting all the way, but the hand disappointed me. I think I tried to get overly fancy. At least it didn't burn me in the end.

Cheers,
DrNick

Haupt_234
08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I made as much as I would have betting all the way

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming your opponent wouldn't have checkraised a turn bet (I have seen this a lot).

Haupt_234

Trix
08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Bet the turn. When the 3. K comes he is much more likely to think that you dont have one and will atleast call against with a pair, sometimes CR. If he CR, then call and raise river.