PDA

View Full Version : Misplayed Flush

waynethetrain
08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I misplayed this hand, but I'm not sure how badly. I can't remember all the exact details, but they aren't all relevant to the discussion. The game was .50 - $1.00 on UB. I had just joined the table. It appeared rather loose, but I had no specific information on any of the players.

I was in the big blind and had Ks 8s.

UTG opened with a raise. There was one other caller beside myself.

The flop was Td 7s 5s.

I checked, the open raiser bet, the other player folded, I called.

The turn was 3s.

I checked. He bet. I raised. He re-raised. I called.

Initially, I put him on any number of strong hands considering he opened with a raise from UTG. Now, I felt fairly sure (rightly or wrongly) he had the As in his hand to re-raise me after the 3rd spade fell. I was unsure if he also had the Qs, Js, or possibly even the Ts as the UTG pre flop raiser (giving him the higher flush). That's why I called.

The river was a non-pair, non-spade.

I checked. He bet. I called.

He turned over pocket As with the As. I win.

That leads to the first question.

Should I have capped after the turn card with my K high flush even though I was risking that he re-raised me because he had the higher flush or was drawing to the higher one?

Should I have raised at the end when the rag fell which meant that unless he had the AQs, AJs, or ATs, (can't see him open raising UTG with anything else that would give him the better flush) I was the winner?

btspider
08-11-2004, 07:20 PM
fold PF.
go berserk with betting once you hit the flush.

waynethetrain
08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
I play down to K8s from that position. Some people advise K9s and better. Some advise Kxs. TTH simulations and other data I have seen suggest K8s is OK.

rjc199
08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm capping the turn. I'm leading the river, and if he raises me on the river I have to think "he can only play this way with A high flush" and call down.

Sent
08-11-2004, 08:02 PM
I would fold PF with this. You need more callers if you want to play it from the BB. But since you did play it I would cap that turn and lead the river as others have said.

-Sent

waynethetrain
08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Yes. In hindsight, that's what I thought was correct. I probably cost myself 1 BB. Had I capped prior and then lead, I am guessing he would just have called, but not raised on the following card. So I lost the cap call. Of course there's a small chance he would have folded at the end, but I doubt it.

waynethetrain
08-11-2004, 08:12 PM
What would be the bottom Kxs you would consider with 2 players besides yourself?

How many would you need for K8s?

Nottom
08-12-2004, 12:08 AM
I would call with almost any Kxs with a caller around. I really don't see what the difference is against a PFR unless he is raising with something like 77 here and your 8 is gonna matter.