PDA

View Full Version : My analysis of PS 1/2 (6-Max) versus PP 1/2 (6-max)

spydog
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Often times it is asked what is the difference?

I just switched over to Poker Stars so I could start playing 2/4 and 3/6 SH. Before I started playing 2/4, I decided to play some at 1/2 in order to get used to the software and style of play.

Is there a difference at 1/2 between these sites? Not really.

Party (20k hands):
55.20% flops seen
$.52 average rake
$12.19 avg pot

Poker Stars (4k hands):
51.88% flops seen
$.39 average rake
$10.80 avg pot

I'm sure that 4k isn't the greatest sample size, but it should be a decent indication.

Also, it should be noted that I have played Poker Stars primarily during the day, while most of my hands on Party Poker have been played at night. Why? Because I was living and working in Phoenix (which is when I played PP) and now I am not working and living in Indiana before I move to Europe (which is when I have played Poker Stars).

So far Poker Stars is a hair tighter, but the rake structure makes up for the slightly better play. Poker Stars might be slightly tighter because of the time of day I play it versus Party Poker.

I have just started my quest at 2/4 and don't have good data, but I'll try to post the differences between 1/2 and 2/4 when I get enough hands played.

naphand
08-12-2004, 05:17 AM
My experience is that Stars has a much more varied set of players, with the highest numbers of LAGs of any site I have played, by some margin. The games are tighter and more aggressive.

I think your figures also indicate that it is more than a hair tighter, though the sample size is small. My figures (comparing just the $1/$2 levels):

PARTY (27K hands)
57.82% saw Flop
Avg. Pot $12.17
Avg. Rake $0.51
Avg. Players 5.32

STARS (10K)
50.45% saw Flop
Avg. Pot $10.68
Avg. Rake $0.38
Avg. Players 5.38

Our average pot sizes are remarkably similar (and consequently the rake also). There is a very significant difference in the number of players seeing the flop.

No. of players seeing the flop is something of an indication, but post-flop play is also very important. Given that 40% or less seeing the flop is vey tight for these games, the difference between 57% and 50% is very significant, and a 20% difference in pot size also. I have only a small sample size for Stars $2/$4 but this indicates tighter and more aggro play (more than twice the average pot size, only 49% saw flop).