PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a game...

rjb14889
08-11-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm heading back to school here soon and really want to set up a game--problem is i am not sure who will want to play. Just looking for suggestions on how to set up a weekly game...

rjb1889

SevenStuda
08-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Recruit playboy playmates to deal the game topless, and give away cash upon arival. That should draw a crowd, don't you think?

-Dimitri

deacsoft
08-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Not to be rude, but how should we know who will want to play in your game? Are you looking for a demographic or something?

Just try networking, man. Tell some people, who will tell some people, who will tell some people, etc. If you host it, they will come. Just make sure hosting a poker game isn't going to get you kicked out of school (if you're living on campus and if home games are illegal in your area). It was my experience in college that finding people who wanted to play and HAD MONEY TO DO SO will be the biggest challenge. Good luck.

The topless Playmate dealers is a good idea too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

afk
08-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Tell two friends. They'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And so on...

ARodOSU
08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Yeah my house started a weekly game back in January with 7 people and since then it's grown every week just by people telling their friends and then those people telling their friends. We've probably had over 50 different people play at our house at some point (never more than 25 in one night though). Hell, we even had the local news call us while doing a story on the explosion of poker because they had heard about our game. If anything, my advice to you is to be careful that the game doesn't get too big.

deacsoft
08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell two friends. They'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And they'll tell two friends. And so on...

[/ QUOTE ]

echo...echo...

rjb14889
08-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tips
rjb14889

Brain
08-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I thought college was supposed to teach you to think. Apparently things have changed since I got out.

Iceman
08-21-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm heading back to school here soon and really want to set up a game--problem is i am not sure who will want to play. Just looking for suggestions on how to set up a weekly game...

rjb1889

[/ QUOTE ]

To have 5-7 players each week, we needed about 10-14 people on our list. With fewer than that, the game usually wouldn't go. Pick the same night every week for your game, and send out a mass email about two days before that asking who wants to play. If you don't get enough people from that, try asking around, or ask your players to bring someone. For a social game, it's usually best to play limit poker rather than NL or PL. You might make the game dealer's choice, or you could make it something like HORSE (because in dealer's choice games people only call games with dealer advantages and you never get to play stud-type games). If you have high-low games with "declare" or games with lots of wild cards, make sure you agree on the rules beforehand - in a wild card game does five of a kind beat a straight flush, or what happens in a high/low declare game if someone declares "both" and wins one side and ties for the other side?

If blinds are too confusing for your players, you can play holdem with an ante, and play starts to the left of the dealer on every round. Omaha-8 may be too confusing also - stud, razz, draw, lowball, and triple draw lowball are all easy for beginning players to learn.

DocMartin
08-27-2004, 04:42 PM
You can also try http://www.homepokergames.com

submariner
08-27-2004, 07:45 PM
There is also a Home Poker forum here. You might have better luck there. I would try to help, but I know nothing about setting up home games. My suggestion would be,"Get some cheap chips and cards, call everyone you know, and figure out when the most people could make and who could host it, then tell them to be there."

By the way, Doyle Brunson's book, "Poker Wisdom of a Champion", has a section on home games. Plus its just a good book all around.