PDA

View Full Version : ATo in the CO

btspider
08-11-2004, 01:14 PM
party's HH emails are messed up right now so bear with me:

Hero is in the CO with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (10 handed)
UTG/MP1/MP2 limp, I raise, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop (T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif): 5 players: 10 SB
UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG folds. MP1 calls, MP2 calls

is this a reverse implied odds situation? There are a ton of cards I don't want to see on the turn, but I have position and the opportunity to fold 2 players. I can take a free showdown if things get scary by the river. if there was no PF raise, would this be a fold?

Turn (J/images/graemlins/heart.gif): 3 players: 8 BB
MP1 bets .5 BB (all-in), MP2 calls .5 BB, Hero raises to 1.5 BB, MP2 calls

I raised the passive player who I believe I'm ahead of now that my main villian is all-in.

River (3/images/graemlins/heart.gif): 3 players - 1 All-in: 11.5 BB
MP2 checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls

value betting heads-up passive player.

Final pot: 13.5 BB's between 3 players

btspider
08-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm trying to link this hand to the classic A6o TPTK marginal hand.. maybe reverse implied odds isn't the correct term for that situation. I think my play here was fine, but mostly because of my absolute position and the pot size due to my preflop raise.

I'm trying to grasp the general feel for the points at which this hand becomes unprofitable.. like if I had a pair of 9's instead, or I had 1 or 2 players to act after me, etc.

btspider
08-12-2004, 02:08 PM
For the lurkers and posterity:
MP1 has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flopped nut flush.
MP2 has K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and let me break even for the hand.

Atropos
08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I play these one-suit flops with much more cuation than you and probably everybody else. These party players play nearly every suited hand they get, and the chance another one of the suit will appear is quite big. If you want to reraise to drive players out, you could try doing this at the turn, at the flop you cant cut down their odds enough I think.

btspider
08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
what is your turn plan when a non-spade face card comes and 4 or 5 players see the turn? by raising the flop, i think i show enough strength that i can safely fold to a turn check-raise unimproved.

Atropos
08-12-2004, 03:37 PM
If I would want to play this aggressive I will bet/raise the turn, if I get reraised there I can fold safely too. Many poker players follow the wisedom that the true strength of a hand rather reveals itself later in the hand.

B Dids
08-12-2004, 03:52 PM
I think your play here is fine.

I like suited flops like this if I'm holding TPTK, because I know that people holding one spade are doing to donate to me as they try to draw out.