PDA

View Full Version : Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies....

Wahoo91
08-11-2004, 12:26 PM
This book by Matthew Hilger was my favorite when I first started playing earlier this year. I have not seen it mentioned much on these boards. Between this book, WLLH, and lots of practice at Pacific .05/.10 I rose from garbage to mediocre in a very short period of time (with no investment)!

Seriously though, have others read this book and liked it as much as I did? I know that Ed Miller stated somewhere that Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies.... by Hilger was one of the very best books for small stakes poker (I have Ed's book and it is now by far the best book, but needs a "companion book"; this companion book should be Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies.... IMHO.). I know that Ed stated that WLLH should be read only by ABSOLUTE beginners due to its many errors, but that he whole heartedly recommended Hilger's book with only a few caveats (actually related to raising PF and hand examples if I remeber correctly).

Link for those who do now know this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974150207/qid=1092241113/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-4288790-7717616?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

deacsoft
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
We've probably not seen/heard much about it because it's an internet specific book, not written by S&M, and isn't considered to be required reading. A solid book though. Mason gave it a good review.

BeerMoney
08-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I like it a lot. I received it recently. I am reading it together with SSH. To someone just starting out, I would definitely recommend it. I too wish there was some more discussion on this board about it.

maurile
08-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Out of the introductory books on hold 'em I've read -- Hilger, Jones, Carson, Warren, Krieger, Hellmuth, and Sklansky -- I think Hilger's is by far the best. (Ed's book is better, but I don't consider it to be introductory.)

sammy_g
08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We've probably not seen/heard much about it because it's an internet specific book, not written by S&M, and isn't considered to be required reading. A solid book though. Mason gave it a good review.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really an Internet-specific book, despite the title.