PDA

View Full Version : Dishing out the bad beats or a good gamble?

SixgunSam
08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Background- This is early in the SnG, the guy in the BB was playing in lots of pots and generally took a stab at every flop. I had also seen him showdown a winning hand with middle pair a few hands earlier.

Here's how it went down:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

UTG (t940)
UTG+1 (t1490)
MP1 (t1480)
MP2 (t1330)
MP3 (t1365)
CO (t1720)
Hero (t1465)
SB (t1400)
BB (t2310)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t20, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, SB folds, BB calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60.

Flop: (t330) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, BB calls t300.

It took me a little time to make the re-raise. At this point I didn't figure him for the flush because he came out betting, but I did give him an outside shot of holding the Ace /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I thought there was an equal chance that he either had a K or a 7. I almost folded the hand, but I decided a re-raise would give me more information and maybe make him fold if he didnt have the flush. I knew I had a respectable shot at the winning flush with the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in my hand and two cards to come. If he called, I had to give him credit for a King. If he had pushed me all-in I would have given him credit for a flush and I guess I could get away from the hand with T900 left at the 10/20 level.

Turn: (t1330) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t500</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t885</font>, BB calls t385.

With 3 Jacks, there was no getting away from this hand, so I re-raise all-in.

River: (t3100) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3100
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3100 (t3100), between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t3100).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Kh Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Hero shows Js Jd (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins t3100. </font>

Did I dish out a bad beat? Should I have folded? Did I play the hand okay? Was my thinking correct? Thanks for the input. This pot put me in position to play the bully for the rest of the way and I ended up winning rather easily.

parappa
08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Imo he played it like a muppet. I'm not sure if he was slowplaying it or figuring you for the flush, but either one was a mistake. If he'd overbet the pot like he should've, I assume you would've folded, and if you'd come over the top he's got a tough decision. By playing it the way he did, he gave correct odds for a high 1-card flush draw to call, and you have no reason to assume that your set of jacks isn't good.

Imo it wasn't a bad beat, he made a bad play on the flop.

SixgunSam
08-11-2004, 12:29 PM
I didn't put him on a KK ever. I thought it was either KQ, A7, an A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif with some other card, 77 or some low suited connectors. I had a good shot to draw out on most of those hands and the others, I already had beaten. In a sense, I was semi-bluffing here. He didn't re-raise me PF with two limpers yet to call, then like you said, he underbets the flop, which to me screamed weakness. I think my two options after the flop were to either raise or fold. Would anyone have called or folded here?

My second question, with my t500 raise, I have about 40% of my stack in the pot, could I really get away from the hand at this point if he did come back over the top of me? I probably would have layed it down to an all-in re-raise, but I'm not sure if that would have been the correct call. What do you think?

parappa
08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I think I probably would've folded to an all-in reraise, but it's one of those hands that my inexperience would make me feel like I had misplayed whether I called or folded, so I'd also appreciate a better player than I's opinion.

RoyalSampler
08-11-2004, 02:42 PM
I don't know how much information is garnered, because he only has to call 300 for a 1000 pot. He has the odds for that with ANYTHING you could put him on. So I would say, the raise has no fold equity (or very little) and gleans no information. Of course he could give you information by pushing, but I don't think you want to call.

He's given you beautiful odds to chase, take them. Of course the risk is that he's letting you draw to an inferior flush. But there are more Kx combinations than Qdx and Adx. And finally, the 300 saved could then be used, if you hit, to test his resolve.

Nonetheless I think I've made the same move before... next time I think I'll pass.

SixgunSam
08-11-2004, 03:10 PM
So you're saying I should have either called or raised a more subtantial amount ( which would have had to have been all-in ). I see where you are coming from, but I really don't like calling there, because I feel like it's giving him the initiative. I know that he is giving me odds to call for my flush, but he was a LAG type and there was a shot he had absolutely nothing. The t300 raise was the largest I could make and get away from the pot if he pushed. I wanted to represent AK or the flush because I was the raiser in the first place. I suppose a call could be made to look like I was slowplaying the nuts, but I wanted to try to win the pot right there, although I didn't want to commit myself completely on a semi-bluff. If he had A7, KQ or was on a bluff, I wanted him to fold. Am I way out of line in my thinking there? I do see what you are saying though about having the t300 to test him later, but I wasn't positive that I didn't have the best hand at that point so I wanted more information. Like I said, I came very close to folding this hand and had it been a player who I gave more credit to, I probably would have. Thanks a lot for your input!