PDA

View Full Version : Ugh Dell 2001fp technical question

Tosh
08-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Got the monitor this morning and set it up, seemed ok but after I set the resolution to max I also changed a setting on the settings tab. I think I changed the display scroll box to the '2.' option instead, and then clicked use the device as default monitor. After I did this everything I open goes to imaginary space - presumably where it thinks I have a second monitor. I reckon if I changed the options back it would go back to how it was but I can't get to anything because its all off the side of the screen - the bars are still on the tasbar though..

I'd really appreciate any help here, thanks.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Disregard that I was being dumb.

The picture quality is shocking though. Anyway it needs to be setup or is it just not that good in general?

Sandstone
08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
The picture quality should be amazing. Are you using DVI? Have you got it set to 1600x1200 running at 60MHz?

Tosh
08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you got it set to 1600x1200 running at 60MHz?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using DVI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats that?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this as you can see, I plugged the monitor in and it seemed to install itself, that was about all I did.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Maybe its my video card? Although it was a pretty good picture on my old monitor.

TylerD
08-11-2004, 11:11 AM
I had that problem my eyes were watering for a couple of hours, till I read the manual. Press the auto adjust button, I think its labelled "Auto".

Tosh
08-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Auto adjust button? Can't find that button, it mentions it in the manual but where is it?

TylerD
08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Might be the + button, but I'm not at home so can't be sure.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Checked the manual, thats the one. Do you have to press it in anyway? I.e. repeatedly, held in or anything? Doesn't seem to do anything.

TylerD
08-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, i press it once and it says "Auto-adjusting" flickers and then rights itself. Have you installed the drivers?

Tosh
08-11-2004, 11:43 AM
I think Windows did that automatically when I plugged it in ? I didn't remove anything in relation to my old monitor though...

TylerD
08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
It might well have done, but IIRC when I first used mine I just had a standard driver installed when Windows installed it through Plug 'n Play. When I installed the drivers from the CD I had more Dell specific options.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 12:02 PM
I'll have a fiddle around and see what I can change. Its likely I've messed up somewhere, thanks for responses.

TimM
08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
My Samsung 191T's definitely had better picture quality. But what can you expect when a larger sceen and higher resolution come at the same price. For me, the added size and 1600x1200 resolution far outweight these cons:

- I can definitely see some screen door effect on certain shades of grey, particularly in the background of PokerTracker. The 191T's had none.

- The backlight seems very bright, there is no true black. This may be my fault since I keep the brightness up pretty high. The 191T has a higher contrast ratio, and the black was not so bad.

- I'm not sure where the problem with this one lies, but I have both monitors and my computer connected to a battery backup. When I turn on the switch on the backup, to power on both monitors and the computer at the same time, the computer will not boot and there is no POST beep. If I power off one monitor, and try it again, everything boots fine and then I can power on the 2nd monitor. Same if I just hit reset on the computer after the monitors had powered up. I originally thought my UPS was the problem, since it was old and had a low power rating, and the 2001FP's use about twice the power each as the 191T's (45W vs 90W each). So I bought a larger UPS, with a 450W power rating, but still have the same problem.

If you have any color problems, you can make color adjustments using the on screen controls. The Dell drivers also provide a color management profile for the monitor.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I should have mentioned that there was no power supply cable in the box and I am using my old one. It powers it, but could that be the problem?

TimM
08-11-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have mentioned that there was no power supply cable in the box and I am using my old one. It powers it, but could that be the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. What kind of picture quality issues are you having? One thing you should also try with an LCD monitor is to turn on ClearType. Display Properties > Appearance > Effects > Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts > ClearType.

Tosh
08-11-2004, 12:30 PM
It just looks like a load of horizontal lines across the picture, its also giving me a headacre looking at it.

TimM
08-11-2004, 12:45 PM
This sounds like Screen Door Effect (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=screen+door+effect+2001FP).

Tosh
08-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Its supposed to be like that !?!?

Tosh
08-12-2004, 05:33 AM
Sh!t, more serious problem. Turned it on this morning and it doesn't work at all. I can get no picture whatsoever, if I turn it off and on the Dell logo flashes and the picture goes blank again. Any suggestions?

TylerD
08-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Return to base - it sounds [censored] to me.

TimM
08-15-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- I'm not sure where the problem with this one lies, but I have both monitors and my computer connected to a battery backup. When I turn on the switch on the backup, to power on both monitors and the computer at the same time, the computer will not boot and there is no POST beep. If I power off one monitor, and try it again, everything boots fine and then I can power on the 2nd monitor. Same if I just hit reset on the computer after the monitors had powered up. I originally thought my UPS was the problem, since it was old and had a low power rating, and the 2001FP's use about twice the power each as the 191T's (45W vs 90W each). So I bought a larger UPS, with a 450W power rating, but still have the same problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This tunred out to be a video card problem. When I woke up yesterday and turned on the machine, it would not boot at all. After trying a few things, I switched video cards with an older machine, and the problem followed the card.