PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology of Poker

Big V
08-11-2004, 12:40 AM
This book was recommended to me. Is it any good? What level of playing should one be at to get full use of it?

balkii
08-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Honestly I think this book is quite different from other 2+2 books. Most 2+2 books are written for players whose primary goal in poker is taking the most money off of the table. At times POP feels like its written for more recreational players who would like to get better but dont feel the need for total domination at the table.

There is some good stuff in this book but there are other 2+2 titles that will help your game a lot more. To get full use of this book you would need to be in the beginning stages of playing poker, where you dont quite understand how to adjust to rocks, maniacs, and calling stations.

Lost Wages
08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
To get full use of this book you would need to be in the beginning stages of playing poker

Or, if you learned how to play by multitabling micro limits you may not have developed good player adaptation skills and now that you've moved up you need to work on this area. At least that's what happened to a "friend" of mine.

Lost Wages

deacsoft
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
It's worth it if you've already read the other recomended books (HPFAP, TOP, SSH, WLLH, etc). I have heard many players swearing by it. The thing I like to consider before deciding to read a book is that it can only make me better (teaching what to do or what not to do). I use this view point only because I feel I can accuratly seperate profitable strategies from non-profitable ones.