PDA

View Full Version : Help a friend in this $20/$40 debacle...

Pirc Defense
08-10-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm posting this hand for a 2+2 long-time lurker, never once posted type. Bison's hand converter is not quite working correctly, and I assume it's something I'm doing wrong. It's safe to say that this is not a 10 handed pot.

Hero is in MP with AJo, and suit is not important. He asked if he should have played this hand differently. My response was that there was no possible way to win this pot by calling, and that either folding or raising were in order, with folding being the best idea.

He wanted me to post this here because of the excellent analysis you guys would come up with. Don't let me down. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paradise Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with AJ. EP limps, Hero limps, button raises, both call.

Flop: (1.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(10 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(10 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(9 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.25 BB, between , UTG+2, MP1, MP2, MP3, CO, Button, SB and UTG.[/color

gonores
08-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Unless he stole your girl, get your friend out of the 20/40 immediately.

If this is a 4-handed game (or if your friend is opening from the cutoff) he has to open raise. With the way the board developed, bet each street until met with resistance.

Pirc Defense...how fitting.

Pirc Defense
08-11-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless he stole your girl, get your friend out of the 20/40 immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I drank Coke, and if I was drinking Coke when I read this response, I would now have Coke all over my keyboard. Alas, Coke sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
If this is a 4-handed game (or if your friend is opening from the cutoff) he has to open raise. With the way the board developed, bet each street until met with resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's a full-handed table, but only three to the flop. Sorry for the hand conversion not turning out right. There's only an EP, my friend in MP, and then the CO. CO raises pre-flop, so three to the flop for two bets each.

Agree, though, that it's either aggression here or fold, because calling won't help.

[ QUOTE ]
Pirc Defense...how fitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Sigh* Why does the Pirc Defense take so much heat? It's a solid defense, dammit. And as I play at the $1/$2 level, this really isn't my hand, if that's what you're hinting at. My aggression factor is way over the top.

mmcd
08-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Raising a preflop limper with this hand is a must. Makes it much easier to play on flops like this, and most of the time you either isolate him, or get position and the lead in a 3 handed pot if one of the blinds comes along. If the CO raised as you said in your second post, then I just checkfold the flop here as I probably have 6 outs at most and often times only 3 (unless CO frequently gets out of line in these situations w/ worse ace or a K-high types of hands.

bisonbison
08-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Pirc, can you or the lurker PM me the hand history for this one?

chio
08-11-2004, 09:14 AM
raise preflop
given the way he played it, consider c/r the turn - you may fold out a better ace, pot is decent size, and you haven't once tested button's hand

also, stop playing 20-40

vulturesrow
08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*Sigh* Why does the Pirc Defense take so much heat? It's a solid defense, dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it just looks so damn passive and silly /images/graemlins/grin.gif