PDA

View Full Version : Value betting threshold

slimpikkens
08-10-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to make value betting a more intuitive part of my game, but I'm still working at it and this hand seemed to be borderline. I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts or suggestions.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (11.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

After being reraised preflop and having an additional caller still in the hand, I checked it down. UTG+2 had JJ, MP1 had KTo. Would anyone have done it differently?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

cnfuzzd
08-11-2004, 02:11 AM
I think i would check it through. If it were heads up with the preflop capper, i would bet, suspecting them of a lower pocket pair. However, UTG is probably holding some sort of baby ace. Although, given the size of the pot, i think that there is a reasonable argument to be made for making a bet here. I just think it would either be an extremely thin value bet, or a bluff thats probably going to get picked off.

peace

john nickle

me454555
08-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Bet the river, checked around 2x in a row? If someones got an ace so be it. W/2 oppoenents in the hand, you're definatly ahead of one and probobly the other. You only have to be right 1/3 of the time for this to be a good value bet b/c no one is folding given the size of the pot.

Vehn
08-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Good post.

Louie Landale
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
The issue here is whether you may get a call from a lessor hand. Clearly the TT/JJ/QQ will call, as might the 88,77,66. That's about 36 hands that can call. Compare that to the chances someone has an A or a 9 and are slow playing it. That's about 120+80=200 hands, most of which folks don't play. All-in-all I don't like much how they match up.

However, the A or 9 must be willing to check, hehehe, twice in the hand and that's not routine for most folks.

I don't play these maniac low-limit online games so have no real feel for them. But in this case since they checked twice I'd be tempted to fire on the river; unless I knew one of them was particularly "tricky".

- Louie