PDA

View Full Version : An AK hand

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Table is typical Party 2/4 table.

Opponent is loose.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 4.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Rubeskies
08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
This one looks good to me.

cold_cash
08-10-2004, 04:24 PM
I would be tempted to bet the turn.

namknils
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Looks good to me too. A turn bet is tempting but he could have any trash that could have hit, and could be planning on calling you down all the way. Opponent is described as loose, at a typical party table, so I'll assume he's also passive and a calling station. Unless I've seen him fold a lot when he gets bullied on his blind I would check it down.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:32 PM
My flop raise was to try and get him to fold and to take a free turn card. I thought with him betting into me on this ragged flop that he caught something. Once I got to the river I thought well that worked perfectly, now what? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Navers
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
if he's a typical loose party 2/4 player he'll call down with any pair and most likely fold if he doesn't have anything. So by betting you expect to gain $0 if he has nothing and lose $4 if he has anything. Right?

Rubeskies
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I think checking behind is the right play because he'll call you down with any pair once you showed weakness on the turn but he'll probably fold if he missed. He'll fold if you have the best hand here and he'll call if you don't so betting is a lose lose situation. I don't think a typical
party player will fold any pair in this situation.

Oops, Navers beat me to it.

Navers
08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Is there a way to stop him from calling a hypothetical river bet if he does have a low pair? Betting the turn could set that situation up, but that would come at the expense of a free river card. Any thoughts?

Rubeskies
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to stop him from calling a hypothetical river bet if he does have a low pair? Betting the turn could set that situation up, but that would come at the expense of a free river card. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is only 4.5 bb so your odds of him folding would have to be very high, since he bet the flop he could easily have a pair, maybe even top pair. You also have to invest two big bets here to get him to fold (turn and river). And since general party poker players will call you down with any pair heads up I don't think this play will work enough to make it worthwhile and +EV.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Villian showed T4c and again MHNG.

I dont think he would have folded to my turn or river bet, even if a K or A came. But I still dont feel like I gave myself very much of a chance to win.

sweetjazz
08-10-2004, 06:09 PM
He wasn't going to fold, so you weren't going to make money off of him on this hand. You played the hand well, and firing more bets on the turn or the river wasn't going to accomplish anything good for you. You got to see 2 cards with the flop raise, and he would have paid one or two more BBs in this small pot if an A or K had come on the turn or river.

You *can't* win all the pots against bad loose passive players. Saving bets by not spewing chips when you know that your opponent is going to call with his tiny pair is good poker. Tell your opponent "Nice hand" and move on. If you play solid poker, you will win...in the long run.