PDA

View Full Version : A BB hand

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I need to post more hands because I am slumping. So here goes.

Table is typical loose table, I guess everybody had to go to the bathroom during this one.

Opponent is straight forward, typical Party player but is on average slightly tighter than most of the herd.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (2.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.25 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font>

Ill wait to post any comments.

Rubeskies
08-10-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure why you bet this flop. This is probably a check fold situation. You have bottom pair and the pot is tiny. You gain a very small pot if he folds and if he calls you are probably in trouble. This is a marginal situation where you can gain little and lose a lot. It is advisable to avoid these situations IMHO.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey Rube,

After my free play on the BB I very much think I have the best hand against one person. I bet the flop to try and win the pot right there.

Nick709
08-10-2004, 04:26 PM
I usally bet the flop in situations like these also. I also take it to the end like you did. I find more often then not you will see a weak ace in these situatuing and it's better to just check fold the turn. I do like the flop bet.

Rubeskies
08-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I agree you probably could have the best hand, but here's my point. The pot was 2.5 small bets and you don't kow if you have the best hand. Taking down these tiny pots is not going to really loom big in your profits. But losing these tiny pots when going after them can really hurt. Tight agressive poker says go after the big pots but let go of the tiny pots with marginal hands.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Nick,

I was thinking of getting rid of the hand on the turn, but when the T paired I still thought I was ahead and try to win the pot again.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
You may be right, but I think I have to much hand to just check fold this hand on the flop or turn. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Garland
08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (2.50 SB) 8, A, T (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this hand really worth fighting 2.5 SBs over? Check fold the turn.

Garland

Nate tha' Great
08-10-2004, 04:41 PM
You played fine.

Kaz The Original
08-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Check / raise the flop. If he fails to bet it, the check/call down.
If he bets it and calls your check raise lead the turn, and if he calls check/fold the river, if he raises the turn fold.
If he 3bets your check raise fold.

It's a tiny pot, but it's your tiny pot.

Navers
08-10-2004, 04:58 PM
It seems like you're betting a lot to gain a little if you play this one aggressively. Because you only have one opponent and a small pot, the chances of him outdrawing you by you checking are a lot smaller than if there were lots of opponents in a big pot with correct drawing odds. Just my opinion

slogger
08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I think I'd play this the same way. Not sure if this is a leak in my game though.

When it's heads up with no aggression shown preflop, I have to believe my pair is good. Opponent could have any number of draws, small pocket pairs, or smaller 8s.

I like the turn bet with the board pairing (not sure how I deal with an overcard on the turn, though), although it may open you up to a bluff raise, to which I think you'd need to fold.

With one of the draws coming in and considering the chance that you're behind a weak Ace, I think you do need to check-call the river, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear a strong argument for a value bet (Clarkmeister? Ed?).

I'd like to hear from some of the poobahs on this, but until I hear a good argument for playing it differently, I would take your exact line.

brian0729
08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I thought I was ahead the whole way and induced a bluff on the river.

Villian turned over AK? and MHNG.